Permissions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ngr

Permissions

Post by ngr »

I have just established a new BB and created 3 forums, but when I enter 'Board index', there are no forums????
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Permissions

Post by KevC »

Check the following
Admin panel
permissions
groups forum permissions
registered users
the forums you want users to see
standard access
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
ngr

Post by ngr »

"groups forum permissions"??
ngr

Post by ngr »

I cannot understand why people who made this very ggod, but extremely non-intutive system, cannot make a simple tutorial like:

When you have made a group, you can add members to it by doing so and so an so (very concrete)

You can give the group members access to a forum by doing so and so an so (very concrete)

And I wish that someone would do it for me here.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

When you make a forum, a big green box shows up saying you have to set permissions for it. You didn't do that.

ngr wrote:"groups forum permissions"??
Go to the permissions tab in the admin panel
Half way down the menu on the left is group forum permissions.
Click it
Now from the drop list choose registered users
click submit
now on the next screen choose the forums you want that group to see
click submit
now on the next screen in the drop list at the bottom choose standard access
click submit

group forum permissions is just that
you choose the group
you choose the forum
you choose the permission
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
ngr

Post by ngr »

When I have made a group and go to group permissions, choose the group and click submit, I come to a COMPLETE NO UNDERSTANDABLE PAGE with All yes, all no. How the hell should I know what that means?????????????????????????????
Yes, maybe I can find it in a tutorial, but why not make a page that is UNDERSTANDABLE????
ngr

Post by ngr »

Kevin Clark wrote:When you make a forum, a big green box shows up saying you have to set permissions for it. You didn't do that.
No, I didn't.And why?
Because I don't have a chance tlo understand what "Do no copy permissions" etc. means
ngr

Post by ngr »

Kevin Clark wrote:When you make a forum, a big green box shows up saying you have to set permissions for it. You didn't do that.

Click it
And how should I know, what 'registered users' means, and why I should not choose the group, I just created?????????????????
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

ngr wrote:When I have made a group and go to group permissions, choose the group and click submit, I come to a COMPLETE NO UNDERSTANDABLE PAGE with All yes, all no. How the hell should I know what that means?????????????????????????????
Yes, maybe I can find it in a tutorial, but why not make a page that is UNDERSTANDABLE????
That's group permissions, not group FORUM permissions.

You can set permissions that a group as a whole can do. You do not have to dig in to the yes and no options. You can just choose one of the default list to choose from.

You can also set permissions that a group can do in each specific forum.

phpBB2 used to have a very simplistic approach to permissions but many found this very restrictive so phpBB3 has a more multilevel approach. You don't HAVE to make it complicated. I just gave you very simple instructions on how to allow a group to see and post in a forum. It only has 3 steps. Choose the group, choose the forum, choose the permission.
ngr wrote:Because I don't have a chance tlo understand what "Do no copy permissions" etc. means
You can choose to copy the entire permission set from one forum to the next one so you only really have to do permissions once and then say 'yes I want to use those on this new forum as well'.
Cheap UK Hosting
ngr

Post by ngr »

And why do I not see the grouo, I just made, when I click the drop down?????
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

ngr wrote:

Click it
And how should I know, what 'registered users' means, and why I should not choose the group, I just created?????????????????
Registered users mean...... everyone who has registered and has an active account. It says in the documentation.

You're perfectly allowed to choose the group you made if you want that instead, but everyone is in the registered users group, so it's normal to choose that one to have access to the forums otherwise everyone who joins will have to be manually moved in to a different group to see and post in them.

It's nothing worth having a coronary about.
Cheap UK Hosting
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

ngr wrote:And why do I not see the grouo, I just made, when I click the drop down?????
Are you sure you made it?
Did you see a green screen saying
Group has been created successfully.

I just did exactly that on my board and it's now in the group list to choose from for permissions.
Cheap UK Hosting
ngr

Post by ngr »

Kevin Clark wrote:It's nothing worth having a coronary about.
Agree. Bit I cannot understand why you make an excellent peace of software - and then make an administration board, that is completely impossible to understand and completely non intutitive, worse than Microsoft.
This is not the first time I made a BB with phpBB, and it is nonsense for me every time.
ngr

Post by ngr »

And what does
All YES · All NO · All NEVER
Advanced Permissions

Role:
Mean???

And hiw can I know that??
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

ngr wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:It's nothing worth having a coronary about.
Agree. Bit I cannot understand why you make an excellent peace of software - and then make an administration board, that is completely impossible to understand and completely non intutitive, worse than Microsoft.
This is not the first time I made a BB with phpBB, and it is nonsense for me every time.
Well, Kevin didn't make it but he's one of the best Support people here, calm down and he'll work you through it.
I find the ACP quite easy to understand and use, I've tried many others and the ACP in them is horrible in my opinion, they won't do half what phpBB does. I think if you'll take the time to learn it you won't ever regret it and you'll love the added control it gives.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”