hammered by newly registered members

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Schwpz

Re: hammered by newly registered members

Post by Schwpz »

Mick wrote:
Schwpz wrote:Does anyone in this thread have any experience with the current spam wave and anti-spam measures of the sort "six random images are displayed, tick off the box next to all the images showing a balloon"?
If you read this TOPIC and other TOPIC's on here you will see there is a lot of experience. If you're talking about a MOD then you need to post in that MODs support area..
I have read every single post in this entire topic and contributed a numerous times to it from the start, and think too there is a lot of expericence in here. Hence why I asked if other members in this topic had been using spam preventions methods based upon ticking off randomly displayed images. It was not a question about a mod in particular, but about a commonly used spam prevention option in general, and how it has fared during the spam wave (i.e. bad like the captchas or good like the Q&As).
Mick wrote:
Schwpz wrote:I personally hate filling out captchas
Try Q&A then, that should be all you need correctly set up.
Thank you. I already do. I was merely encouraging other members who have been posting in this topic to refrain from focusing exclusively on the spammers, but to keep in mind the humans who also have to use that same registration form.
..:: PlanetZot.com - Your ultimate source for animation! ^^
edgar davids

Post by edgar davids »

stevemaury wrote:Use admin activation so they won't be activated without your review. But how about a link to your board so we can see what you are doing to stop them from registering in the first place.
http://www.bertiestreet.com/forum
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Schwpz wrote:to refrain from focusing exclusively on the spammers, but to keep in mind the humans who also have to use that same registration form
Yes but that's the whole idea, getting ideas (good or bad, good preferably) for something that humans can do and spam bots can't.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

edgar davids wrote:
stevemaury wrote:Use admin activation so they won't be activated without your review. But how about a link to your board so we can see what you are doing to stop them from registering in the first place.
http://www.bertiestreet.com/forum
Your two CPFs are pretty easy for a bot. The "Are you a bot" has been around for years. The word "middle" gives away the second one. And I think Q&As with the word "colour"in them are solved by the bots just cycling through red, green, blue, yellow, etc.

Help us in evaluating a new type of question by turning off the CPFs and using this:

Code: Select all

Boat is to sea as plane is to ______
I assume you know the answer to that.

EDIT - there probably should be two acceptable answers, one beginning with "a" and one beginning with "s"

Do that for a few days and report on how the spam is going. Thanks.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
edgar davids

Post by edgar davids »

stevemaury wrote:Your two CPFs are pretty easy for a bot. The "Are you a bot" has been around for years. The word "middle" gives away the second one.
Where do I turn this off? (brain fade)

UPDATE: deactivated both Custom profile fields
Last edited by edgar davids on Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edgar davids

Post by edgar davids »

stevemaury wrote:Help us in evaluating a new type of question by turning off the CPFs and using this:

Code: Select all

Boat is to sea as plane is to ______
I assume you know the answer to that.

EDIT - there probably should be two acceptable answers, one beginning with "a" and one beginning with "s"

Do that for a few days and report on how the spam is going. Thanks.
Done.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

edgar davids wrote:
stevemaury wrote:Your two CPFs are pretty easy for a bot. The "Are you a bot" has been around for years. The word "middle" gives away the second one.
ACP, Users and groups, Custom profile fields, Deactivate.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
edgar davids

Post by edgar davids »

stevemaury wrote:
edgar davids wrote:
ACP, Users and groups, Custom profile fields, Deactivate.
Yes, thanks, I just found that.
edgar davids

Post by edgar davids »

Can we have some suggestions on the best way to clean up "Activated" spammers. The Prune users feature is good, but limited. Be nice to have a checkbox faeature next to member's names and you can filter out "normal" members opposed to "spammers". Although, I am using 3.0.10, not sure if the Prune users feature has improved in 3.0.11?

EDIT: I'm thinking if I Deactivate all members with 0 posts, then use the Inactive users feature to delete possible spammers via checkbox clicking.
HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Post by HGN »

Allready posted this before in this topic:
  • ACP
  • USERS AND GROUPS
  • Prune users
  • Find a member link at "Prune users:"
  • Select criteria for finding members and click Search
  • Tickmark all or the specific users you want to prune and click Select marked
  • On the Prune users forum click Submit
Not 100% sure about 3.0.10 but it works this way in 3.0.11.
edgar davids

Post by edgar davids »

Thanks HGN, perfect!
Patrick W.

Post by Patrick W. »

I have been using the KeyCAPTCHA plugin available from the database for a month or so and have not had any spam registrations since installation. I would highly suggest using, or at least trying this plugin for yourself. I used to use the Q&A, reCaptcha, etc. and everything got broken. So far KetCAPTCHA is the best option.
Always use the Support Board for phpBB support. One PM answers one. One post answers many.
InfoSecSual

Post by InfoSecSual »

DarkMaster wrote:I have been using the KeyCAPTCHA plugin available from the database for a month or so and have not had any spam registrations since installation. I would highly suggest using, or at least trying this plugin for yourself. I used to use the Q&A, reCaptcha, etc. and everything got broken. So far KetCAPTCHA is the best option.
That is, in exchange of protecting your website you agreed to expose the computers of your visitors to whatever can be directly loaded from KeyCAPTCHA backservers.

The latter, the loading of executable scripts, cannot be controlled in any way by web resource (website) owners (who installed this plugin) since the scripts do not pass through their website being directly loaded from KeyCAPTCHA back servers.

And you obviously did not even bother to check the background of those whom you opened the browsers and computers of your visitors by installing this plugin.
wmtipton

Post by wmtipton »

DarkMaster wrote:I have been using the KeyCAPTCHA plugin available from the database for a month or so and have not had any spam registrations since installation. I would highly suggest using, or at least trying this plugin for yourself. I used to use the Q&A, reCaptcha, etc. and everything got broken. So far KetCAPTCHA is the best option.
I dont think the Q&A is 'broken'. I think it just requires a little creativeness on the part of the user.
Using questions that can be answered without looking at your unique website is just asking for a spambot problem.
Ive had one signup in the last week or so and it had to be a real human because no spambot could even read the 6 digit number I put in the graphics of the forum banner. Theres really not much to do against live spammers except shut down registration or use the new member feature and require an approval of their first post or so to be sure they arent spamming.

If a Q&A question can be answered without looking at your unique website specifically the its not the feature thats 'broken', its the question itself that is.
:)
Attachments
333.jpg
333.jpg (21 KiB) Viewed 492 times
mysql database backup software - mysql Workbench
stanhilliard

Post by stanhilliard »

wmtipton wrote:... because no spambot could even read the 6 digit number I put in the graphics of the forum banner. :)
Is there a link or something where a novice can learn how to create such an image from some text characters and place it?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”