Users self-activating, but set to Admin approval?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
missmuffet

Users self-activating, but set to Admin approval?

Post by missmuffet »

For the two years I've had my forum I've set new accounts registration to approval by Admin only. Over the past couple days I've noticed that the last 7 members have registered without approval needed. I received the email stating that a new account was created that needed approval. However, they never showed up as "inactive" members to be approved, nor is there any evidence of their registration in the logs. Having never used self-activation or none I don't even know if such information is posted in logs, but the usual log entry that shows the admin (me) as approving new user is not listed. They were already "active" by the time I logged into my admin panel.

No changes have been made to the forum in regards to the registration or email situation in a long time; as well as no changes have been made to the forum settings in the past few weeks at all. I did a test registration and it worked as normal. I have extra security questions, etc. And I got my email stating that admin approval would be required. Sure enough the new "test" account showed up in the waiting list. I received my approval email as usual. I did this after the first 3 new accounts happened. I thought it might be a glitch or something, but after my "test" four more appeared.

So, I'm a little bit concerned over this mystery. Two of the seven members definitely check out as not spammers. They are friends of other regular, trusted members. I've looked over all the settings and they seem just as they have been for ages. Any ideas on what I need to check to correct this issue?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Users self-activating, but set to Admin approval?

Post by Mick »

Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • There will be legions of cricket lovers of both genders through whose lips the abomination ‘BATTER’ will never pass so long as we live” - Simon Heffer - Telegraph
missmuffet

Post by missmuffet »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.8
What is your board's URL? http://www.medievalsims.com/forums
Who do you host your board with? Gearhost
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
What MODs do you have installed? picture resizer
What styles do you currently have installed? custom "DarkFantasy"
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? n/a
What password can be used to view this issue? n/a
When did your problem begin? 4 days ago
Please describe your problem. Users are "activating" their own accounts suddenly, though forum is set to Admin approval. This "activation" does not show up in the Maintenance log. Attempts to test registration seems to work correctly. No changes have been made to the forum set up in months.
Generated by SRT Generator
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You've got at least 2 separate installations of phpBB both looking at the same database.

/forums and /Forums.
I've just created accounts with both of those (you can delete them)
Do you have any others? Maybe one that does not have admin approval set?
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Use of unnecessary violence in the apprehension of the Blues Brothers has been approved"
missmuffet

Post by missmuffet »

I just logged into my hosting account and I only see one installation or one folder in it called "forums". I do not have a second one called "Forums" so I am a bit confused at this information. When I type forums or Forums it takes me to the same site and when I log into the admin panel (whether its "Forums" or "forums" its the same exact panel with the same registration settings (admin only).

I do see the two test accounts created. I assume you received the normal registration email and can't log in without activation.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, either will take you to the same site because they are looking at the same database. But /Forums is NOT the same as /forums. Use FTP to look and you will see.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
missmuffet

Post by missmuffet »

Right, I logged into my ftp account via my host and I only have one installation of the forum called "forums". That is the only file on this account. I don't have any other sites, etc. So, where is the duplicate at? Does this mean I've been hacked/copied or something?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

is your server a windows server or a unix/linux server?

roberrt
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
missmuffet

Post by missmuffet »

I believe it is Windows
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

missmuffet wrote:I believe it is Windows
that could explain why Kevin is thinking you have two installations.

He may be trying to see if you do and putting in Forums just to see if you might have one there.

We often do that type of thing just to test.

If so, then that would explain it. only on windows does Forums and forums point to the same place.

every other type of OS that I know of is case sensitive. that means that a folder named Forums and folder named forums are two completely different things and are not interchangeable.

most of the net runs on *nix servers so most of the net is case sensitive.

robertt
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
missmuffet

Post by missmuffet »

This is still happening after a month. When I turn off registration completely (for several days at least) I do not get any new members at all (which is as it should be). When I turn it back on, registration works as normal for a while (meaning members register and admin must approve). Then after about a week a few self-activating members will slip through.

The only way to know if we have new members that didn't require admin approval is to keep checking the member list on the forum and sort by date - then compare that to the logs in the admin panel. These members mostly seem legitimate as they start posting and contributing to the forum. When questioned about registration they state they went to our site at the appropriate link and filled out the form like normal.

I've had the forum for nearly 2 years and it's always been set to admin approval. Any other idea besides a "second database"?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”