Why may normal users not edit their postings

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ngr

Why may normal users not edit their postings

Post by ngr » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:44 pm

It's ok, that it is not possible by default, but I do not understand, why I as administrator may not have the option to allow my users this possibility.

I may to it here, why not users on my BB???

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Why may normal users not edit their postings

Post by KevC » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:55 pm

If you have a look at the advanced permissions for any forum, in the actions tab it has 'can edit own posts'.

If a group is set to standard access for a forum then they have the ability to edit their own posts.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

ngr

Post by ngr » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks a lot - though it is the opposite of what I was told earlier today :(

So I go: Permissions > Forum permissions - and then I have no idea, which one of the 2 "Select a forum" to use?????

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:13 pm

ngr wrote:Thanks a lot - though it is the opposite of what I was told earlier today :(
If it's the topic I'm thinking of, you're referring to the guest group. That's different and the information you were given was correct. Guests cannot edit posts because you have the potential that one guest could edit all the posts of every other guest so there's no ability for that group, regardless of the setting.
ngr wrote:So I go: Permissions > Forum permissions - and then I have no idea, which one of the 2 "Select a forum" to use?????
If you want your users to be able to edit their posts in a particular forum then set the group to standard access. That's it.

permissions
group forum permissions
choose the group you want
choose the forum you want
choose the permission you want

So if you want registered users to be able to post and edit their own posts in every forum, set them to standard access.
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

ngr

Post by ngr » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:
ngr wrote:Thanks a lot - though it is the opposite of what I was told earlier today :(
If it's the topic I'm thinking of, you're referring to the guest group. That's different and the information you were given was correct. Guests cannot edit posts because you have the potential that one guest could edit all the posts of every other guest so there's no ability for that group, regardless of the setting.
No, only registered users can post on my board - and I want to make it possible to edit (own) messages in SOME of the forums or (if that is not possible) for SOME groups.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:45 pm

You'll need to change the advanced permissions for the group in question for the forum you want to restrict editing on, or you can make a new forum role using the standard access one as a base. Just change the action tab > can edit own posts permission to no and set that on the forums you want for the groups you want. Note that if that's in addition to access granted by the registered users group you would need to set the permission on never instead (as the yes permission from the registered users group would override the no from the other group).
Cheap UK Hosting

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:05 pm

I don't understand why you don't want someone to be able to edit their own posts. What is the advantage in denying someone access to edit one of their posts? You don't have to answer if you don't want to, I am just curious as to why this would be important to you.

I would think that if someone misspells a word, or if someone writes something and then later decides that what was written wasn't very clear, they would want to edit the post and correct whatever they feel is necessary. To deny someone the ability to do that I would think is doing a disservice to the poster, not to mention to the forum as a whole. A forum filled with misspelled words and posts that are about as clear as mud isn't a forum that is likely to succeed. On the other hand a forum filled with well written posts and useful information is a forum that will most likely be around for a very long time.

That's why I am curious as to why you want to restrict members from editing their posts. You are free to do whatever you want with your forum, I just wish that you would enlighten us as to why you feel it is important to restrict post editing.

all-arabian

Post by all-arabian » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:34 pm

Big Jim - it's actually very useful sometimes NOT to allow members to edit their posts. On my forum we have set a 10 minute time allowance for editing typos etc., but after that TOUGH. This has really helped cut down on unpleasantness in what can occasionally become heated debates, members are just a bit more careful what they post as they know that any insults or whatever cannot be edited out later, and that if they go too far they may be "sent to the naughty step" for a while to calm down!

HGN
Former Team Member
Name: Alfred

Post by HGN » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:44 pm

Big-Jim wrote:I don't understand why you don't want someone to be able to edit their own posts.
It happens that users for whatever reason decide to empty all of their posts by editing the post to contain only e.g. ..., thus making whole discussion topics meaningless.

Per default all users on my board are able to edit their posts, but anyone abusing that right by emptying posts will be disallowed to edit their posts.

Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:48 am

Indeed. I allow 20 minutes to edit their own posts, after that they are free to request a staff member to edit if if they wish. Keeps people from going back and removing it later.

Big-Jim

Post by Big-Jim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:52 am

Thank you for clarifying it for me. I did not realize there would be such problems associated with the edit process, but apparently there are enough problems that you need to at least limit the editing process.

Pond Life

Post by Pond Life » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

It's not just removing post content, some of the smarter human spammers will go back to their old 'innocent' posts to add their spam.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”