memory limits with phpBB3

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
J_M

memory limits with phpBB3

Post by J_M » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Unfortunately I am still experiencing problems with a very small forum run within a host that is using CloudLinux. CloudLinux folks offered help but I would need deeper access to the server for them to help. So I am back discussing this with the hosting company.

I have seen resource limits on this forum site under maximum CPU (mCPU) and maximum memory (mMem) when viewing the resource log in my cPanel, the limits CPU and Memory limits were reached at different times. And this is with an average of 0-5 visitors to the site at any given time, of which 3 are usually spambots and/or search engines.

I don't see this as a phpBB3 problem, but I need evidence. Would a raw access log be enough to show limited use of the site? are there any other logs that I could use? Is there another log that is used by the "resource usage chart" in cPanel that is accessible and contains helpful info about what is using up the memory? I've already been told that I would need a dedicated server but that seemed to be a standard answer without any investigation.

thanks!

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: memory limits with phpBB3

Post by stevemaury » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:51 pm

Ask them how many other accounts are on the MySQL server.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

J_M

Post by J_M » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:58 pm

>Ask them how many other accounts are on the MySQL server.

thank you Steve. This is definitely beyond my area, so I really appreciate the help. It seems too easy to point to phpBB as the culprit, and I can't see it as the problem when people are running successful and large forums all over the place.

Any other ways that I could see how phpBB is using memory other than the simple chart that is available with cPanel?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:52 am

if your hosting company or whatever cloud linux is are seeing problems then they should be able to tell you/show you exactly what problems, exactly when and where they are happening, etc.

If they can not, then they apparently do not know enough about how to run servers and you should probably find a better host.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

J_M

Post by J_M » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:58 am

>tell you/show you exactly what problems,

how focused should they be able to define the problems. With logs etc. should they be able to define the events that are causing the problems?

I'm really hoping that they can find the problems because I'm a bit worried about moving the site.

thanks again.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:18 am

J_M wrote:>tell you/show you exactly what problems,

how focused should they be able to define the problems. With logs etc. should they be able to define the events that are causing the problems?

I'm really hoping that they can find the problems because I'm a bit worried about moving the site.

thanks again.
yes, the tech department of any decent host should be able to pinpoint where a customer's account is creating problems. otherwise, how would they know there was a problem to begin with.

If they do not know how to do this, your site is not safe with them in the first place.

also, the fact that they are asking you to get a dedicated server with such an obviously small board is another indication that they are not trustworthy and are just trying to scam more money out of unsuspecting clients.

robert

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:18 am

Vanilla phpbb is not a resource hog. If you have no modifications installed and your host is asking you for "proof" that phpbb is a resource hog, you really should consider a different host. Most likely either your current host cannot actually host anything or they are not being honest with you.
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

J_M

Post by J_M » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:31 pm

SteveMaury
All unsolicited PMs will be ignored.
is it OK if I send you a PM, just a quick question?

thanks

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Rule 4e wrote:Community based support is offered via the board ... do not contact Team Members or other members of the community for support via PM/IM/email unless asked to do so.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

J_M

Post by J_M » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:47 pm

OK, just checking.

I had a question about hosting and I believe that is not allowed on the forum. Even though specific hosts can't likely be mentioned is there a forum that can be trusted for good reviews?

thanks

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm

We cannot really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk

J_M

Post by J_M » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:We cannot really recommend a host, but we do recommend that you visit WebHostingTalk
great thanks!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”