Success of attachment download not obvious

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
dncollins

Success of attachment download not obvious

Post by dncollins »

A user of my board complained that he was unable to download an attachment in a post when browsing with Firefox but it worked fine when he was using Internet Explorer.

After a little detective work we discovered that he was actually receiving the file when downloading using Firefox ... but the file was small, and the 'downloading' pop-up is displayed so briefly he wasn't seeing anything happen ... when I asked him to check his download folder, sure enough, the file was there... he just had no visual queue that anything happened.

Turns out that when browsing with IE, a dialog is displayed showing download status and requires an explicit "OK" to be dismissed. That's a bit friendlier behavior I think.

I know this is probably a browser configuration issue, but after looking at the preferences in my Firefox app, I couldn't find anything that looked like it might do the trick.

Is there a way to have phpbb force a dismissable 'success/fail' dialog for downloads. Anyone want to weigh in on how I might recommend that my board users should configure their browsers?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Success of attachment download not obvious

Post by stevemaury »

Firefox downloads the file in a separate window, which remains open until closed. Additionally, a "Download complete" message appears on the lower right.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
dncollins

Post by dncollins »

Are you saying the closing of the dialog must be done manually ? ... because that's not what happens for me (Firefox 3+) or my user (Firefox 18.0). I don't see any 'download complete at the lower right of the phpbb window. If it's in the self dismissing download window, it doesn't help much.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

This is really nothing to do with phpBB support because it depends on how Firefox is configured, see, for example, About: config entries - MozillaZine Knowledge Base. Whether the Download Manager window pops up when starting a download or closes when a download is finished are configurable in Firefox.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
dncollins

Post by dncollins »

OK. Kinda thought that might be the case. Thanks for the reference. I'll pursue it from that angle.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

in firefox, go to the tools menu at the top of the page, choose options

on the general tab should be a section named downloads.

that is where you set the options for the download window and where it saves files to etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
dncollins

Post by dncollins »

Thanks Lumpy - just figured that out by following Oyabun1's ref.

Consider this inquiry closed - I actually had looked at the general options tab before even starting this thread but I guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Scuze me while I wipe this egg off my face.

Only thing I'd add: for mac users with older versions of Firefox - if the Tools menu doesn't offer Options, Use the 'Firefox' menu and click on Preferences/General.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”