How to stop moderators moderating in a certain subforum?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
berniewest

How to stop moderators moderating in a certain subforum?

Post by berniewest »

Hi. I have created a hidden subforum on my phpbb board for moderators and admins to discuss things. I want to be able to stop moderators from having permissions to moderate in that forum. I've done what seems logical in the ACP by selecting Groups' Forum Permissions, but the permissions only cover standard posting type activities. I can't seem to deselect moderator privileges there. Any ideas?
Cheers.
berniewest

Re: How to stop moderators moderating in a certain subforum?

Post by berniewest »

Ok, I just found the dropdownlist at the top which allows me to select moderator permissions in that forum. I have set them all to 'No', but my separate moderator account can still perform all mod actions. I'm thinking that I have given my own moderator account some admin privileges somewhere that are overriding those forum permissions. I'll report back later on this when one of my other moderators gets online and I can get him to check what permissions he has.

I've got to say, I'm quite confused about all the different levels and locations that forum privileges and permissions can be set. Is there a good tutorial on the privilege/permission system in phpbb?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

If moderators are members of the Global moderators group (as you doubtless are) they can moderate any forum they can see. You need to use forum moderator permissions and remove the forum modrators from the Global moderators group.

Knowledge Base - phpBB3 Permissions
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
berniewest

Post by berniewest »

The other mod has shown up and he has full mod privileges in there despite the fact that I have set all Global Moderator (the group he belongs to) privileges to "Never" for that forum. What am I doing wrong?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

berniewest wrote: I have set all Global Moderator (the group he belongs to) privileges to "Never" for that forum.
Global Moderator permissions apply to all forums. There is not a way to set Global Mod permissions for a specific form. You would need to remove that user from any group that has Global Mod permissions.
berniewest

Post by berniewest »

This whole thing just doesn't make any sense. Why does the ACP have settings that allow me to set forum permissions for Global Moderators, yet they don't work? :?:

So, is the solution to not use the Global Moderator groups, but instead use a different moderator group, and then assign them moderator privileges for every forum bar the one forum that I don't want them to have privileges?
Cpt. Blackbeard

Post by Cpt. Blackbeard »

They are called "Global" Moderators because they can Moderate every Forum. Generally you only place people in that group if you want them to have Moderator access to every Forum. The rest you use the individual Forum Moderator function, and if you wish you can create a group called Moderators (or whatever you wish) and place them in that so the Group name will be there for them.
But if you can't trust them to moderate their own Forum why have them at all?
berniewest

Post by berniewest »

You misunderstand. I only want them unable to moderate the special sub forum where just the moderators and the admins discuss moderation and site issues. It's just a precautionary approach, in case a mod goes rogue and starts changing other people's comments or deleting them. I can always find out what they've done via the moderator/admin logs, but it makes more sense just to deny them moderator privileges in that subforum.

In any case, this has nothing to do with the problem. The problem is that the ACP outwardly allows you to modify Global Moderator permissions on a forum by forum basis, but in actuality it does no such thing. Unless I am missing something, this is a clear flaw in the software (either a flaw of implementation or a flaw of specification).
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

You are incorrect. If you go to Permissions, Groups forum permissions, the forum, Moderator permissions, Advanced permissions, you will see that there are NO moderator permissions to be changed. Whether you select Moderator permissions or Forum permissions, you will see that the only permissions available for change are forum permissions. Perhaps it would be better to not have a Moderator permissions item in te dropdown for Groups forum permissions for the Global moderators group, but in any event there are no Moderator permission you are able to set for Global moderators in forum permissions.

If you have a forum you do not want to be moderated, then you do not want any GLOBAL Moderators, because global means ALL forums.

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
berniewest

Post by berniewest »

Thanks for telling me what I can't see, despite seeing it. See image below. You definitely can set moderator permissions in in the forum for the Global Moderators. However, setting them has no effect. They simply shouldn't be there.
Attachments
FireShot Screen Capture #012 - 'Groups’ forum permissions' - www_rationalforums_org_forum_adm_index_php_i=permissions&sid=de0a7645cd9b990ebb783036c23a4ccf&icat=16&mode=setting_group_local.jpg
FireShot Screen Capture #012 - 'Groups’ forum permissions' - www_rationalforums_org_forum_adm_index_php_i=permissions&sid=de0a7645cd9b990ebb783036c23a4ccf&icat=16&mode=setting_group_local.jpg (83.74 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

Yes, I see now what you are saying. I agree that forum moderation permissions should not be available for the Global moderators group. I will post a bug report.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by stevemaury »

berniewest

Post by berniewest »

Cheers for that.

I have gone ahead and created a generic moderator group and assigned it permissions in all forums except the one I don't want moderated.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

stevemaury wrote:Yes, I see now what you are saying. I agree that forum moderation permissions should not be available for the Global moderators group. I will post a bug report.
I am not sure why you would think it is a bug....
The "Global Moderators" group is just a group like any other group. You could rename them to "Slackers" if you wanted to.

The problem is when you have both Global Moderator permissions and Forum Permissions set for the same group.

Actually, that is not a bug either.... You could have the single "Can Edit Posts" permission set in Global Moderator permissions, and "Can Delete Posts" set in Forum Mod permissions and it would work just fine.

The point is that if you do not want a user to have moderator permissions in every forum, you should not be giving them Global Mod permissions.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”