Out of memory for mass PM

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sp3ctre

Out of memory for mass PM

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:12 am

I know this has been discussed a few times and the answer is generally "ask your host to increast memory limit". However, this one does seem a bit odd:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 51763889 bytes) in /home/useraccount/public_html/forum/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 899
First off, the amount "exhausted" is much higher than what was attempted to be used. Not sure why?

Also, when I look in "php info" in the admin panel I see memory_limit set to 128M (same as limit in error).

I don't have anything set in htaccess files and the 2 ini files are set to 128M.

Is there anywhere else I could check?

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Re: Out of memory for mass PM

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:27 am

sp3ctre wrote:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 51763889 bytes) in /home/useraccount/public_html/forum/includes/functions_messenger.php on line 899
It ran out of memory when it tried to use that amount of memory, the used memory isn't 0 when this attempt is made.

The only solution is to either contact your host to get more memory or try to chop the group you try to pm in half and do that twice.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

sp3ctre

Post by sp3ctre » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:31 am

Erik Frèrejean wrote:
sp3ctre wrote:
It ran out of memory when it tried to use that amount of memory, the used memory isn't 0 when this attempt is made.

The only solution is to either contact your host to get more memory or try to chop the group you try to pm in half and do that twice.
Sorry, not sure I understand. It is my own server so I can up the memory. What I mean is phpBB is saying memory_limit is set to 128Mb. Are you saying I should try 512Mb? Most people complaining about similar issues has it set to 2Mb or 8Mb, I would've thought 128Mb was plenty. Is that not correct?

Erik Frèrejean
Former Team Member
Name: Erik Frèrejean

Post by Erik Frèrejean » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 am

sp3ctre wrote:What I mean is phpBB is saying memory_limit is set to 128Mb. Are you saying I should try 512Mb? Most people complaining about similar issues has it set to 2Mb or 8Mb, I would've thought 128Mb was plenty. Is that not correct?
No, PHP is reporting that error. phpBB is just displaying an error that is thrown by PHP. Clearly PHP is using to much memory for this operation, so yes increase the memory limit for PHP and this issue will be resolved.
Support Toolkit | Support Request Template | Knowledge Base | phpBB 3.0.x documentation
I don't give support via PM or IM! (all unsolicited pms will be trashed!)

Oleg
Former Team Member

Post by Oleg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:32 pm

How many recipients are you trying to message?

How much memory does php actually consume? (check via top or ps)
Participate in phpBB development: Get involved | Issue tracker | Report a bug | Development board | [url=irc://chat.freenode.net/phpbb-dev]Development IRC chat[/url]
My stuff: mindlinkgame.com

bantu
3.0 Release Manager
3.0 Release Manager
Name: Andreas Fischer

Post by bantu » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:34 pm

How many people are you trying to send to?