HOW to STOP FAKE ACCOUNTS??

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
camaro92

HOW to STOP FAKE ACCOUNTS??

Post by camaro92 »

How do you stop them once and for all! I have tried everything that i've been told and they are still coming..

1. I USED to have an email sent out to activate them. But that was obviously useless
2. Then I started to FORCE activate them to they would have to wait till I checked their account. Usually a "dfgdsgfsd" in "Where Heard" quickly put a red flag to me so I would check their IP and delete them. HOWEVER when you get as many as I do on a DAILY BASIS (20-30+) I can't do that manually every day!

3. I was told to put up a CAPTULA. But they seemed to blow right thru those!
4. Then I was told they can OCR the CAPTULA and go to the next type where the code has lines thru it and can't be OCR''d.. They BLEW right by that too!

5. So then I was told to install a Q&A and put all typed of Q/A's.. They are blowing by them as well??????

WHAT'S LEFT????????????
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: HOW to STOP FAKE ACCOUNTS??

Post by KevC »

camaro92 wrote:5. So then I was told to install a Q&A and put all typed of Q/A's.. They are blowing by them as well??????
What is the current question you're using?
Q&A works fine with the right kind of questions.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
/a3

Post by /a3 »

camaro92 wrote:5. So then I was told to install a Q&A and put all typed of Q/A's.. They are blowing by them as well??????
After you set the Q&A CAPTCHA, you need to check the Inactive Users list for spammers that have already registered but not yet activated. That's one way they make it seem like the Q&A isn't working, but they actually had already registered.

The Q&A CAPTCHA questions and answers should also be unique. For example, the question "what color is the sky?" is obviously long broken, so don't use it.

It seems like you might have already read it, but if not, read Preventing Spam in phpBB3 for more info.
$ git commit -m "YOLO"
001tech

Post by 001tech »

I found that mathematics type Q and A questions worked for a while but then spammers started to get through again. In the end started to use some very simple general knowledge questions and these seem to work well.
Embedded Design 001tech LTD
BMS East Yorkshire Kitchens BMS Kitchens LTD
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

001tech wrote:In the end started to use some very simple general knowledge questions and these seem to work well.
They won't work for long because the spambots use compiled lists of questions and answers and their lists are growing all the time. One list I saw had 93,000.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”