Error when posting to a topic, other topics OK?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide

Error when posting to a topic, other topics OK?

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:56 pm

One topic is kicking out this error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /phpBB3/posting.php on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This occurs when submitting a post and the same error for an Admin or regular user. Other topics within the same forum work OK.

Thanks for your help!
J_M

Re: Error when posting to a topic, other topics OK?

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 pm

Sorry, I didn't search first.... found many other discussions that point the finger at mod_security.

I'm still reading, hopefully they will yield an answer, thanks
J_M

Postby Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:35 pm

J_M wrote:Sorry, I didn't search first.... found many other discussions that point the finger at mod_security.

I'm still reading, hopefully they will yield an answer, thanks

that is most likely your answer. contact your host.

you could test to see what exactly is kicking the error by posting half the post to see if you get the error, if not , post the other half. keep reducing the text of the post until you find out what word or phrase is causing the error.
then you contact your host and ask them to fix the mod_security settings.

robert
Lumpy Burgertushie

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:58 pm

thanks!

this is a support group forum for a health issue and it appears that one of the medications mentioned in the post is the problem. I can easily recreate the problem and am currently chatting with the host TS.

Does mod_security have a banned word list?

btw - word censoring is not enabled in phpBB3
J_M

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:06 pm

what changes would need to be made to mod_security? it might help my

thanks again
J_M

Postby Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:07 pm

J_M wrote:thanks!

this is a support group forum for a health issue and it appears that one of the medications mentioned in the post is the problem. I can easily recreate the problem and am currently chatting with the host TS.

Does mod_security have a banned word list?

btw - word censoring is not enabled in phpBB3

apparently, the host can set mod_security however they want but I have no idea how they decide what words etc. will trigger it.

not sure what you mean by word censoring is not enabled. you can enable it in your admin panel and put whatever words you want to be banned in the list.

robert
Lumpy Burgertushie

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:13 pm

>not sure what you mean by word censoring is not enabled. you can enable it in your admin panel and put whatever words you want to be banned in the list.

I was just confirming that I had not censored anything within phpBB3
J_M

Postby Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:18 pm

J_M wrote:>not sure what you mean by word censoring is not enabled. you can enable it in your admin panel and put whatever words you want to be banned in the list.

I was just confirming that I had not censored anything within phpBB3

oh, sorry, I misunderstood.

robert
Lumpy Burgertushie

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi Robert

thanks for your help, we bumped the problem up the TS level and hopefully the problem will be remedied soon. It appears that the multiple uses of the "problem word" may be triggering some type of filtering/rule.

regards

j
J_M

Postby Mick » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Exactly.
J_M wrote:.... found many other discussions that point the finger at mod_security
Some hosts are a bit over zealous with their mod_security but, generally, they are fine about changing it if requested. I personally get the impression most of them don't know a lot about it and accept the default setting when installing the server software. On a static site you probably wouldn't have any issues but, with something like a bulletin board where people are writing stuff, that's another story.
Remember, it's not the magic wand it's the magician! All unsolicited PM's will be trashed.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:57 pm

Hi Mick

do you know if this is something that can be changed per site, or for the entire server?

are there censored word lists within the mod_security?

thanks

j
J_M

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:03 pm

problem has been confirmed that it is the mod_security program and waiting to see what changes can be made.

thanks for all the help.

jeff
J_M

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:16 pm

A little more information in case someone else runs into this problem. Here's the documentation for the opensource program ModSecurity:

https://github.com/SpiderLabs/ModSecuri ... nce-Manual

There is a mention to a list of keywords, but it seems to be words used to sniff user agents not content? ( but trust me, I really don't know what I am talking about, and once this is fixed I will never need to know anything more about this)

Description: Performs a case-insensitive match of the provided phrases against the desired input value. The operator uses a set-based matching algorithm (Aho-Corasick), which means that it will match any number of keywords in parallel. When matching of a large number of keywords is needed, this operator performs much better than a regular expression.
This operator is the same as @pm, except that it takes a list of files as arguments. It will match any one of the phrases listed in the file(s) anywhere in the target value.

Example:

# Detect suspicious user agents using the keywords in
# the files /path/to/blacklist1 and blacklist2 (the latter
# must be placed in the same folder as the configuration file)
SecRule REQUEST_HEADERS:User-Agent "@pmFromFile /path/to/blacklist1 blacklist2" "id:167"
J_M

Postby J_M » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:23 pm

Apparently in a POST request the entire post is searched for keywords, now I just need to find out where this keyword list is...(just out of curiosity)

Simple filtering

The most simplest form of filtering is, well, simple. It looks like this:

SecFilter KEYWORD
For each simple filter like this, ModSecurity will look for the keyword in the request. The search is pretty broad; it will be applied to the first line of the request (the one that looks like this GET /index.php?parameter=value HTTP/1.0). In case of POST requests, the body of the request will be searched too (provided the request body buffering is enabled, of course).
J_M

Postby Mick » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Can you edit mod_security yourself? If not just ask your host to do it, point them to this topic if you wish. If you want a list of 'banned words' your host may be able to help with that too.
Remember, it's not the magic wand it's the magician! All unsolicited PM's will be trashed.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Next

Return to 3.0.x Support Forum