How is NginX for phpbb?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Alien_Time

How is NginX for phpbb?

Post by Alien_Time » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 am

Has anyone used NginX instead of Apache for phpbb 3.0.11? How better is it than Apache? Did you see any improvement in speed and memory usage?

soumik

Re: How is NginX for phpbb?

Post by soumik » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:17 am

phpBB works well with Nginx, and should work with any webserver in the world as long as it supports a PHP interpreter. As for questions regarding the superiority of Nginx over Apache, it is a topic for another forum.
Powered by chocolate

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:28 am

Thanks heaps soumik for getting back to me.. When I was googling info on NginX, it appears to be faster than Apache and it says that it works well in serving static pages. But how is NginX in serving Dynamic pages from MySql? It still seems that most of the websites running phpbb are still using Apache so I am in a dilemma to whether I should try out Nginx and see if its faster and performs better. Do you think if it is worth taking a chance and trying out NginX for my phpbb forum? Does it really serve pages very quickly or is it just overrated?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:47 am

By the way you are asking the questions it seems you aren't experienced with either server, so Apache would probably be best because it has been going longer, has a much bigger user base, and so has vastly more documentation and places to ask questions, but this isn't one of them, see rule 4b.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:51 am

soumik wrote:As for questions regarding the superiority of Nginx over Apache, it is a topic for another forum.
Such as an Nginx forum.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:54 am

yeah its true... I dont have any experience with any of them and I am trying to find out as a learning effort. Thank you though. I understand that this topic is beyond the scope of this forum since its not really has do with phpbb itself but just wanted to ask to get an idea on how I can proceed with my server set-up. I am on a process of moving from shared host to vps and its all new to me. I will definitely be going with managed host since server administration is way over my head. :)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Alien_Time wrote:yeah its true... I dont have any experience with any of them and I am trying to find out as a learning effort. Thank you though. I understand that this topic is beyond the scope of this forum since its not really has do with phpbb itself but just wanted to ask to get an idea on how I can proceed with my server set-up. I am on a process of moving from shared host to vps and its all new to me. I will definitely be going with managed host since server administration is way over my head. :)
in that case you should be asking whoever is going to be managing your server. they would be the ones that need to know about the server software and how it works and which might be better.

personally, I doubt that any of them would be noticeably faster than the other.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:16 pm

Thank you robert. I will be contacting them when I sign-up for a new vps plan tomorrow. When I enquired initially, they said that they will do the server admin work as well as migrate from my previous host but will try their best to help out in 3rd party products like phpbb. So hopefully they can give me some useful advise. I also tried googling Nginx for phpbb, etc.. and I couldnt find much reviews on that so thats why I asked here. The biggest selling point for Apache is, its really popular, has a lot of resources on the internet and easier to get support even here since a lot of them are familiar with Apache than NginX. Hope all goes well... fingers crossed!

Alien_Time

Post by Alien_Time » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:02 pm

Here is an update on this. In my new server, I have gone with Apache and I have also set-up NginX as a reverse proxy. I am gonna give it a try and see how it goes. In this setup, nginx would serve my static contents, and when it receives requests for dynamic content, nginx would forward the requests to apache to handle. Hopefully I see better performance with nginx as a reverse proxy than with apache by itself.

Just thought I will update this thread on this.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”