Forum Reset

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
BriniaSona

Forum Reset

Post by BriniaSona »

http://www.kwandrivia.net/

I want to reset my forum, all I want is the forums and settings saved and what not. I dont want the mods to keep installing themselves. why? because when I install a mod and try to remove it, it breaks the forum.

I just want to start clean. IS this even possible?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Forum Reset

Post by KevC »

*NOTE: Before proceeding backup all files and the database.*
  • Upload all new files from a download of the full version, EXCEPT for config.php, the /images and /files folders.
  • Go to yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run and then delete the install folder.
  • You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.
You may also need to remove any files that were added by MODs. You can find them in the install.xml file for the MODs in question.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
BriniaSona

Post by BriniaSona »

how do i do step 1
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The backup or the uploading?
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
BriniaSona

Post by BriniaSona »

In cpanel x, I did a full site backup, as well as backed up my directory and sqldatabase,

what steps, or rather can you post what to do step by step so i dont screw things up anymore than I already have.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Just follow the first part of this article

Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain
DoYouSpeakWak

Post by DoYouSpeakWak »

/files/ have to be transfered both ways in binary, otherwise they will break. Notice your phpmyadmin version and the ones mentioned in the link above.

Its always good to verify a backup locally before moving to the next step.

If you are looking for a cleaning, the STK https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/official_tool/stk/ are the tool to use.
Whatever you share comes back. Support the phpBB Communities
Offering paid services. 15+ years of experience with phpBB3 and server management.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and your "full site backup" from your hosting control panel will be worthless if you need to restore your database or files etc.

those full site backups are only good for making a complete site restore on the exact same type of hosting setup that you already have. it would be all or nothing.
( there is usually a lot more to your site than just the bulletin board files/database.)

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
BriniaSona

Post by BriniaSona »

I am lost already... I thought is was gonna be easy. Automod is a failure at installing mods. I went to remove board3 portal and it caused errors. Is there anyone on the board that can personally do it for me at all? All I wanted was my forum to have linked accounts, easily changeable banners and a portal page. and it all went screwy. It's a roleplay forum. I wanted this to be easy and it was until i tried to uninstall something then it went spiralling from there. Filezilla and the instructions linked above, just overwhelm me. Setting up the forum and what not is fine for me to do, but this filezilla thing and manually coding stuff is complicated. I just want my forums and users and settings copied and nothing else....
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Skip the backup as it's probably fine.
Just upload the files as explained. It takes less than 10 minutes.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”