Attaching files to a message

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Attaching files to a message

Post by KevC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Eh?
You haven't posted in this topic before.
Cryogenix wrote:I also hate it when helpers don't take the time to read someone's post and ask a question that I've already answered in my post. It's a waste of my time and can be frustrating.
And he's already said his host does not have a limit (although the vast majority have a 2Mb limit on files).
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Cryogenix

Post by Cryogenix » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:Eh?
You haven't posted in this topic before.
Cryogenix wrote:I also hate it when helpers don't take the time to read someone's post and ask a question that I've already answered in my post. It's a waste of my time and can be frustrating.
And he's already said his host does not have a limit (although the vast majority have a 2Mb limit on files).
That was a honest mistake. I'm too new and misunderstood - and have been staring at my computer too long today. I thought he was a board user trying to upload a file, and that you were referring to the board's admin/mod as host, not the actual server host. I read it wrong... :)

ngr

Post by ngr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:It may be that the limit of the individual attachment group is too small.

Admin panel
posting tab
manage extension groups
Click the green cog icon next to the group for the type of file you're uploading (as you haven't said it's difficult to say which one but they're listed in manage extensions) and increase the max file size.
Thank you Kevin, but for me, this is one more example of how unnecessary complicated an otherwise superb piece of software works.
First, don't you agree with me, that it is quite understandable that I look in "Attachtments
settings" to solve the problem?
Next: I cannot understand why I MUST look through a huge number of strange extensions that I never heard about before. How about this: First you are asked if you are a nerd or not a nerd.
If the answer is yes - then you will be presented for the system as it is now. If the answer is no, then you will be asked: "What shall be the max size of file to upload". And that's it.
What's wrong with that solution?
I have used IT for many, many different task for many, many years, and I have introduced phpbb for many social workes, and they are really excited, because immediately they can imagine a lot of things that they can use it for.
But not if they are met with so stupid things like this, excuse me for my language - but I cannot understand, why you and the team cannnot understand, that as long as it works like this, there are many, many people who will NEVER use your system, and that is a pity.
And thanks again for your help.
Best

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 pm

do you have any idea how many hundreds of thousands of people do use phpbb? do you have any idea how many people download and install it every day and how many people go to their hosting control panels and install it every day with one or two clicks?

Your frustration with not understanding a part of how phpbb works is certainly understandable, however, it might just be that your problems are in the minority even here.

when you ask for help and a support member asks you for more information it is only so that they can help you faster and better.
It would be prudent to assume that the support people know more about this than you do and that if they ask for a certain bit of information there is a valid reason for it.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

ngr

Post by ngr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:do you have any idea how many hundreds of thousands of people do use phpbb? do you have any idea how many people download and install it every day and how many people go to their hosting control panels and install it every day with one or two clicks?

Your frustration with not understanding a part of how phpbb works is certainly understandable, however, it might just be that your problems are in the minority even here.

when you ask for help and a support member asks you for more information it is only so that they can help you faster and better.
It would be prudent to assume that the support people know more about this than you do and that if they ask for a certain bit of information there is a valid reason for it.
robert
No, I don't. But I know that there are 5 billions people in the world, so hundreds of thousands downloaders (which is probably only your wild guess) do not impress me the slightest, and downloading does not mean that they use it. But even if they did, is that an argument for not improving the way it works?? I am really happy that the majority don't think like you do - if they did, we would still be in the stone age.
No, it is NOT prudent to assume. They know lot about technicality, but this is absolutely not the same as they know a lot about user-friendliness. On the contrary, I have cooperated with many IT-people, and NONE of them understood anything about user-friendliness - they simply didn't give a fuck. I am not saying that that applies for the team behind phpbb, but it applies for real many computer technicians.
But could you not explain for me, what Mick could use my answer for me, because I never heard from him.
Last edited by ngr on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:38 pm

phpBB2 used to be very simplistic and we had many many many people complaining about the fact that they couldn't do more complex things. So phpBB3 was made more flexible. You can't please all of the people all of the time. Maybe phpBB isn't right 'for you'. Maybe one of the other bulletin board platforms has the simplicity you're looking for.

Most of the time, people don't need to go in to the setting I've just directed you to. You haven't mentioned the file type you're uploading but the limits should cover most situations. Also, as I mentioned, 99 times out of 100 it's actually a limit imposed by the host. Most have a 2Mb limit on file uploads so often it's a moot point as to what the attachment type limit is. That's really there just to allow some extra fiddling for people that need it. I've never changed any of those settings on any of my boards.

Did that fix your problem?
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:44 pm

ngr wrote:But could you not explain for me, what Mick could use my answer for me?
Because sometimes we just like to SEE what you're seeing.

We see many people who post saying 'I have the same problem' and 9 times out of 10 it isn't. Or the poster thinks they know what it is but doesn't give enough information for us to get the whole picture. We like to try and get as much information as we can to fix a problem. Often that's a link to the board (which you hardly ever give us) so the next best thing is a screenshot on the off chance that we can see the message and maybe something else in the picture that might help such as what setting might be ticked or what page you're seeing it on or whether there are any visible MODs installed that might be causing the error.

Virtually everyone is happy to provide us with more information that we ask for because they want the problem fixed quickly. Without it, some issues are guesswork.
Cheap UK Hosting

ngr

Post by ngr » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 pm

Yes, as I said, it solved the problem, so thanks.
But don't you agree, that it is quite understandable that I look in "Attachtments settings" to solve the problem?
Of course, you cannot make everyone happy, but would the Nerd/Non nerd solution not be usable?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:51 pm

ngr wrote:But don't you agree, that it is quite understandable that I look in "Attachtments settings" to solve the problem?
Sure but also there are other settings to look at if that page of basics doesn't solve the problem and as I say, it's actually quite rare for people to need to look at those other settings. They are the nerdy ones. The page you looked at covers the non nerdy options and 99% of attachment issues.
Cheap UK Hosting

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:55 pm

ngr wrote:Yes, as I said, it solved the problem, so thanks.
But don't you agree, that it is quite understandable that I look in "Attachtments settings" to solve the problem?
Of course, you cannot make everyone happy, but would the Nerd/Non nerd solution not be usable?
yes of course it is understandable for you to look there, but it is also understandable for you to look around for other places when that one doesn't work. I agree that there are many places in the admin panel that could certainly be better designed. It took me quite a while and I am still learning new things about it every day. I never said it couldn't or shouldn't be improved. I am glad you got your problem solved and hope that the next time you come for help that you don't find it so hard to accept the help you are offered.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

joao_pimentel
Name: João Pimentel Ferreira

Post by joao_pimentel » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:49 am

Hi

Sorry my intromission.
I really don't understand your complains, sorry ngr.

This service is absolutly FREE, they provide support for FREE, they have bills to pay, I suppose, so everything which is given, is better than nothing.

There's a saying in Portuguese which tells "To given horse, you don't need to check their teeth"

Obviously, kindness, and user-friendliness are appreciated, but they are NOT mandatory.

I have also a phpbb math forum where I solve problems to other people for free, and I do my best, but the worst thing I can have, is giving my best with 30 answers per day, and in one of them, cause I was not clear enough, I'm criticized....

But I also understand you, going inside all this technical issues might be difficult, but that has a simple solution: take your time to learn it or get paid support.

just my 5 cents...
Last edited by tbackoff on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed spam link

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”