Upgrading from 1.0 to 3.0

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
GSMMM

Upgrading from 1.0 to 3.0

Post by GSMMM »

Hi,

I work for a company that is running the old original but after years of bad urls which are labelled badly by numeric usernames etc. (from an seo point of view), duplicated content, spam postings etc. we need to seriously overhaul things. I have been advised that the best way to clean up the forum is to upgrade to the latest version and then try to deal with the problems using various scripts etc. Can anyone advise me as to whether or not this is the best course of action? Thanks

PS:By the way there are apparently 100,000 thousand pages on this forum indexed by google and it's seriously hurting our organic search due to the mess it is in. I'm urgently looking for the best solution. Thanks again
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Upgrading from 1.0 to 3.0

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not with only that information. we would need to know some specifics.

what, exactly, is the old version, a link to the board would certainly help.

not sure what "scripts" you are referring to but let's start with what you have now.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

In fact please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better. Do you really mean version 1?
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
GSMMM

Post by GSMMM »

Hi,

I am not a computer expert in the slightest but i will help as best I can with your requests.

http://www.mcat-prep.com/forum/

When you go into the actual topics the URL's seem to be very convoluted and may be adversely affecting our page rating with google etc. Session id's, duplicated content etc. and some spam postings seem to be the main issues here.
GSMMM

Post by GSMMM »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? I Don't Know
What is your board's URL? http://www.mcat-prep.com/forum/
Who do you host your board with? phpbb
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? no idea
What language(s) is your board currently using? english
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
When did your problem begin? 12-18 months ago a fall in traffic to our site and a fall in our organic search rankings
Please describe your problem. same as above. A SEO expert diagnosed this as one of many issues but we need to deal with this urgently as there are so many pages associated with our site that are related to the forum
Generated by SRT Generator

I was not at the company when this website was made many years ago and unfortunately this site in general has been left unmaintained for many years. I will try and get more answers for you if you request them and I am thankful for any help/direction that is offered.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

I don't see anything wrong with the urls for the board, they look normal to me.
However, I do see the phpbb-seo link at the bottom of the page. normally with that MOD the urls would be "human readable" and they are not. THey are normal.
bottom line is that you do not need any of that for google to index and rank your phpbb board pages just fine.
I would suggest that you not worry about that. If your listings in google are with old urls using the SEO stuff then you can do a 301 redirect in the htaccess file that will make it all work for you.

your board is a phpbb2 board and the current version is phpbb3. if you want to keep the older version you will have to get help somewhere else for it because it is no longer supported here.

http://phpbb2refugees.com is the only phpbb2 support site I know of.

if you want to upgrade to phpbb3 there are fairly simple instructions to do so.,

you will not lose any of your members, posts etc.

however, no MODs that were installed on the old board would work on the new one. I don't see any MODs on the board but that doesn't mean there are none.

someone added the main site header /menu to the subsilver style template files so that would have to be done again but that is not very hard to do.

If you need help upgrading ;
Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is here.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.

we are here to help.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”