Restore lost forum [Given up]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ingeva

Restore lost forum [Given up]

Post by ingeva »

I moved a subforum to another forum, and it looked like I had two subforums with the same name.
However, one was a topic, not a forum, and I deleted the forum I had just moved.
I do have a backup of the deleted subforum, so the question is: How do I restore the subforum without restoring the complete backup, thus overwriting all posts that have been made in the meantime?

Is it possible at all?

I'm running phpBB 3.0.11.
Last edited by ingeva on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
inge
Admin for phpbb.no
The key to success: Linux Mint
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Restore lost forum

Post by stevemaury »

Possible, but very difficult. You would have to extract the information on the deleted forum and its posts from the following table, not to mention restoring the attachments to the files folder:

acl_groups, acl_users, attachments, bookmarks, drafts, forums, forums access, forums track, forums_watch, poll_options, poll_votes, posts, search_wordmatch, topics, topics_posted, topics_track, and topics_watch.

As one example, to update the topic table, you would run a query like this on the database backup:

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM phpbb_topics WHERE forum_id = N ( the id of the deleted forum).
Then you would export that query as an INSERT export, and run the results as SQL on the new database and etc., etc, etc.

Best would be to get all the exported SELECT queries, disable the board and run them all at once. Backup your database first.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
ingeva

Re: Restore lost forum

Post by ingeva »

stevemaury wrote:Possible, but very difficult. You would have to extract the information on the deleted forum and its posts from the following table, not to mention restoring the attachments to the files folder:
Thank you!
I was afraid it would be something like this. I hoped there might be some software that could be used for this situation. So I guess I'll drop the whole thing and accept the fact that these messages are lost.
inge
Admin for phpbb.no
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Restore lost forum [Given up]

Post by Oyabun1 »

You could try, Generic message import. It's not really designed for such situations, but it may work. (Just make sure you back everything up before trying it. These sort of things are usually best to try first on localhost copies.)
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
ingeva

Post by ingeva »

Oyabun1 wrote:You could try, Generic message import. It's not really designed for such situations, but it may work. (Just make sure you back everything up before trying it. These sort of things are usually best to try first on localhost copies.)
I should have done this on a local copy anyway. I just didn't anticipate falling into a trap like I did.
I don't think I have the energy to go back and try this. We have accepted the fact that those entries are lost forever. :)
inge
Admin for phpbb.no
messiahcide

Post by messiahcide »

https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/recove ... ted-topic/

You can use the steps described in this article to get the sql data and than import it back to the database using phpmyadmin.

You would just have to add the additional steps to include phpbb_forums, etc.

Edit: Caveat - this will take a long time.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

That article is for a lost topic, not a lost forum - big difference. So, it is really not applicable directly.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”