Forum trying to add accented characters

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
AlexG2490

Forum trying to add accented characters

Post by AlexG2490 »

Hello! I'm surprised I haven't been able to find anything on this... maybe I just don't know how to search for the issue I'm having. I recently set up my first board, and the setup went pretty well for the most part; I only had a couple of roadblocks and they were easy enough to get through once I searched for them. The problem is when I actually tried to start posting a few topics. The only way I can describe this behavior is that the forum is trying to put in foreign/accented characters where they're not needed, making it almost impossible to type up a post. For example, if I want to type something simple like, "Happy 4th of July!", if I'm not paying attention it becomes this:

Happy 4th ò July!

When I type an "o", it appears just fine. Then when I type an F, the F does not appear, instead I get the ò. I have to type F a second time to convince it I really did mean "of". This is just an example - hundreds of character combinations seem to do this. As you can imagine, typing one character at a time and having to check to see if a double keypress is required to remove the accented character is extremely frustrating, and I'm sure users won't stick around on the forum more than a few minutes if I can't get this solved.

Is this an option in the settings somewhere, or is something seriously wrong with my installation?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Forum trying to add accented characters

Post by Mick »

Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
AlexG2490

Post by AlexG2490 »

Here you go.

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.11
What is your board's URL? http://spookycolorado.com/forum
Who do you host your board with? Dreamhost
How did you install your board? I used a tool provided by my host
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? halloween
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? AlexG
What password can be used to view this issue? qA%GorA6uJ@Y
When did your problem begin? 9/1/2013
Please describe your problem. The only way I can describe this behavior is that the forum is trying to put in foreign/accented characters where they're not needed, making it almost impossible to type up a post. For example, if I want to type something simple like, "Happy 4th of July!", if I'm not paying attention it becomes this:

Happy 4th ò July!

When I type an "o", it appears just fine. Then when I type an F, the F does not appear, instead I get the ò. I have to type F a second time to convince it I really did mean "of". This is just an example - hundreds of character combinations seem to do this. As you can imagine, typing one character at a time and having to check to see if a double keypress is required to remove the accented character is extremely frustrating, and I'm sure users won't stick around on the forum more than a few minutes if I can't get this solved.
Generated by SRT Generator
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

The style you are using has a /styles/halloween/template/avim.js file which seems to be the problem. It seems to be a file related to the input of Vietnamese language. But that file and the fact that the style isn't for your version of phpBB (style and board versions must match or problems will be experienced) are very likely the problem.

Change styles to prosilver or subsilver2, as a test, and you will probably find the problem goes away.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
AlexG2490

Post by AlexG2490 »

Somehow, I didn't reply to this post thanking you when I thought I had... but this solved all our issues! Thank you so much! Removing the .js file in question took care of things... I don't know HOW you managed to figure that out but you did, and I'm very greatful!

I'll keep on the lookout for a new style but we're a volunteer website and don't have a lot of money (which is to say none) so finding one that looks good and is affordable is a big deal for us.

Thanks again!
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

AlexG2490 wrote:I'll keep on the lookout for a new style but we're a volunteer website and don't have a lot of money (which is to say none)
You could browse through these styles ;)
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... styles-12/
A thread is pretty much a topic. Stop with the pedantics will ya.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Yes, look at the styles available here, they are all free, as in beer.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”