PM error: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare user_get_id_name

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Genebaby
Name: Vic

PM error: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare user_get_id_name

Post by Genebaby » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:41 am

I've just been alerted by a member that when they try to send a PM they get this error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare user_get_id_name() (previously declared in /home3/genebaby/public_html/includes/functions_user.php:27) in /home3/genebaby/public_html/includes/functions_user.php on line 82
They thought the function wasn't working but the PM actually gets sent.

I tried it and it happened to me as well.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks

Vic

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: PM error: Fatal error: Cannot redeclare user_get_id_name

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:44 am

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better. The "When did your problem begin?" question means: Please describe the actions you took (updating your board, installing a MOD, etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Genebaby

Post by Genebaby » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:16 am

Thanks, I was just filling that out and checking my ACP and the General tab says i'm up to date but the System tab says the last update didn't take so I'm still on 3.11 there somehow, so I am going to run the update again and see how I go.

Genebaby

Post by Genebaby » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:52 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.12
What is your board's URL? http://vvforums.com
Who do you host your board with? Hostgator
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0.11
What styles do you currently have installed? abrasive
What language(s) is your board currently using? standard
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? vicman
What password can be used to view this issue? testing
When did your problem begin? It was reported earlier today by a user trying to send a PM.
Please describe your problem. It seems that when you try and send a PM, the messge:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare user_get_id_name() (previously declared in /home3/genebaby/public_html/includes/functions_user.php:27) in /home3/genebaby/public_html/includes/functions_user.php on line 82

comes up, though the PM does get sent. Looking in my System Tab in ACP it showed a failed update from 3.11 to 3.12, though the General Tab said I was running 3.12.

Doing another autoupdate and checking the files it only found a difference to the functions_user.php file mentioned in the error. Replacing that I think actually made the system worse, where you couldn't even enter the PM area, so I put the original file back.
Generated by SRT Generator

Genebaby

Post by Genebaby » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:57 am

I don't know a great deal about messing about with the back end, I kind of got by up until now getting it up to date each time.

I just remembered I do have Tapatalk installed, if that makes a difference, though I just tried clicking on the Mods Tab in ACP and I got:
General Error
Cannot find module ./../includes/acp/acp_mods.php
Is there a way I could start again but keep the big changes I made, mainly to the Forum looks? The colour scheme etc, which is all in the Styles directory.

I also a long time ago swapped over the side that the User info/avatars were, from right to left, I'd like to keep things like that if I were to start over.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:25 pm

Do this:

Before proceeding backup all files and the database.
  • Download the full package.
  • Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 folder.
  • Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images and /files folders from the package.
  • Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and folders to the root of your board installation on the server overwriting the existing files.
  • In your browser go to http://vvforums.com/install/database_update.php
  • Let that run to completion. (Probably won't be needed, but just to be sure.)
  • Via FTP or SSH delete the /install folder from the root of your board installation.
  • Done.
You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts but without any MODs that you might have had installed.

Only use a good FTP or SSH client, such as FileZilla, to transfer the files. (File transfer utilities provided in host control panels can cause problems.)

Please note: Any 3rd party style (styles other than prosilver and subsilver2) will also require updating, style and board versions must match. Your Abrasive style does nit appear to have been updated since 3.0.8, so that will definitely require updating. It is prosilver based so you can use these prosilver 3.0.8 to 3.0.12 code changes.
                      Support Request Template

Genebaby

Post by Genebaby » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:05 am

Thanks very much, I'll give that a try. I use FlashFXP to transfer files, so that should be ok.

I didn't know about the Board numbers and Styles needing to match before, thanks for that too.

Vic

Genebaby

Post by Genebaby » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks for that, I've replaced my forums files with the fresh copy, save the files you mentioned, that's always good to know, and updated the database file and now all is showing ok in the ACP and PM's are going through without error again.

I'm a little confused about the updating my Abrasive style. I can't work out from the link what I should change, it shows a lot of files and folders and I am unsure what to do.

The big issue for me is I manually adjusted the colours on files to suit and I don't want to lose those.

Should I just backup those images, reinstall the style from scratch and then just copy over the images?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:19 am

That will only work if you can find a version of the style that has been updated to 3.0.12 otherwise you will be just replacing out of date file with out of date files and achieving nothing.

To manually update the style you need to download and open each of the listed files and make the changes. The code in the left panel is the existing file, how it should be is on the right panel. Some code will be altered, added or removed and the changes are colour coded as such.
                      Support Request Template

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:47 pm

and the only part of the code changes you need is the part for the styles.

whichever style your custom style is based on is the one you use for reference.

if your style is based on prosilver, then only do the changes listed for prosilver

same if it is based on subsilver2

in your case, abrasive is based on prosilver. there are going to be hundreds of changes since your style is so far out of date. you might be better off finding a newer similar style to change to.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”