Really confused by template database system, need help.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Adam_Nox

Really confused by template database system, need help.

Post by Adam_Nox » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 am

I usually edit files via ftp. Well my server is acting weird with ftp, so I decided to try to edit the template files in place.

I get the error that the files are unwritable, so the changes are stored in the database.

"template set is now stored in the database"

Ever since getting that, no matter what changes I make to the template file, it's not reflected on my forums. (seeing them won't prove/disprove this btw or I'd include a link).

When I go to prosilver template details to change from Database to File System, I get the same error.

But I don't actually need those files to be writable to phpbb since I can edit via ftp again at some point. However, I don't understand how to fix my site now. It's become crippled by this weird database template storage.

Edit: The file in particular I'm trying to work with is not cached. And when I try to use phpbb's in place editor, it shows the changes I want, those changes just aren't showing on my forums.

Edit2: The file is in my cache afterall, thought it would be in prosilver cache, but it's in the active style's cache. I have the boards set to auto detect new file versions though, so that threw me. Looks like I can at least start making progress, but I'm going to have to clear cache manually every time.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Really confused by template database system, need help.

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:30 am

first, don't use the builtin editor , those changes are only temporary and will go away the first time you refresh the style components or purge the cache.

second, https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/tools- ... ise-phpbb/

you don't edit "in your ftp". some ftp clients allow you to set your text editor from the options, but you are using the text editor , not the ftp.

the best thing to do is install a good text editor, use your ftp to download the files and edit them in the text editor.
upload back, refresh the style components from the admin panel/styles tab.

refresh your browser, done.

if you are going to be making changes it is usually best to change this in the admin panel:

main page,
on the left menu , click on load settings.
on the right, check yes for recompile stale style components.

submit.

purge cache,

now, your edits done in your text editor and uploaded to the server will be instantly available .

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Adam_Nox

Post by Adam_Nox » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:03 am

I edit in notepad++, I was simplifying for the purpose of posting.

I also have the load settings set as you say, but unfortunately as of today it's stopped working. Maybe I'll flip it off and back on or something.

soumik

Post by soumik » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:08 pm

ACP -> Styles tab -> Templates on the left pane -> Click on Details for the template that is acting weird and change template storage to Filesystem. The board will begin to read the template files from the server again.

Truncate the phpbb_styles_template_data after you are done.
Powered by chocolate

Adam_Nox

Post by Adam_Nox » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:53 pm

soumik wrote:ACP -> Styles tab -> Templates on the left pane -> Click on Details for the template that is acting weird and change template storage to Filesystem. The board will begin to read the template files from the server again.

Truncate the phpbb_styles_template_data after you are done.
It will not allow me to change to filesystem. Gives me the unwritable error. If I knew what to chmod to what exactly, I would give that a try.

I don't know what you mean by truncate the phpbb_styles_template_data

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:23 pm

phpBB3 Chmod Permissions

the cache must be set to 777

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Adam_Nox

Post by Adam_Nox » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:14 pm

cache is already set to 777, always had to be in order to make the boards even work as far as I'm aware.

I think it expects actual style files to be writable to switch to filesystem unless something is borked.

I think it switched off filesystem after attempting to edit one of the style files. Though I don't see why it can't use filesystem just because phpbb can't edit the files.

Try to switch, it says "The template file was unwritable so the template set is now stored in the database containing the modified file."

What template file was unwritable? lol

Edit: Is the template file something completely different from the cached files?

If so, why aren't my cached files getting updated when I upload new versions? I have the settings right...argh.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Check the access permissions on /styles, /styles/prosilver and /styles/prosilver/template and the files within that directory.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Adam_Nox

Post by Adam_Nox » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Hate to bump this again.

My problem has persisted. "Recompile stale style components:" no longer works. It was, then this thing happened with me trying to edit from within ACP, and ever since then it just doesn't work. Anyone know a fix?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:16 pm

How about you tell us everything you have done and checked so we don't waste our time suggesting things you have already done.
                      Support Request Template

Adam_Nox

Post by Adam_Nox » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Oyabun1 wrote:How about you tell us everything you have done and checked so we don't waste our time suggesting things you have already done.
Settings "recompile stale" to off, then back on is all I could really think of. Every other suggestion here was in relation to editing templates from within ACP, which is not my goal ATM. Right now my life would just be easier again if Recompile stale elements worked. As posted before I did check permissions of cache directory, and deleting the cache manually from with ACP works.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:30 am

Oyabun1 wrote:Check the access permissions on /styles, /styles/prosilver and /styles/prosilver/template and the files within that directory.
                      Support Request Template

Adam_Nox

Post by Adam_Nox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:07 am

Yes, I had checked those, sorry.

I went back to ACP, styles, templates, prosilver, details, and it had gone back to database again. Switched it back, purged cache once, and it seems to be working now with further changes to files. I will watch to see if it flips back to database again.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”