My posts don't come up in some searches on my board

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
techman41973

My posts don't come up in some searches on my board

Post by techman41973 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:27 am

Last month, I could go to the advanced search page on my board, leave the "Search for keywords:" field blank and fill in only an asterisk in the "Search for author:" box, then when I hit search, the results page showed me a list of all posts on my board in reverse order
that they were posted. This effectively gave me a "timeline" search of my board.
Today when I tried to this type of search, my posts (from user: techman) are not included. Only posts of other users. When I log into another account on my board, same thing, all other posts show up in results list except for posts from (user: techman). For all other types of searches, my posts do indeed appear in the results correctly. This is odd. I tried deleting the index and rebuilding it. Still the same problem.
I doubt this has anything to do with a MOD, as I haven't MOD'd to my since September.
Perhaps someone has some insight to what may be happening.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: My posts don't come up in some searches on my board

Post by Oyabun1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:56 am

How many posts do you have on your board?
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

techman41973

Post by techman41973 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm

I have about 200. It's frustrating trying to figure out what this can be.
Thanks Oyabun1.

techman41973

Post by techman41973 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:25 am

To mitigate my accidental duplicate posting (which is locked, and I can't remove)

I finally did some testing:

This feature works great on a stock build of PHPBB 3.0.11, but doesn't work on my forum that has about 200+ posts and 500 users.
For some reason all posts from many authors are excluded. I don't see any pattern to the authors who's posts are excluded from the search results.
I know excluded authors and their posts are in the index, because if I do an advanced search, and type in their username in the author box and click search, their posts show up in the search results page.

I thought that issue could be a MOD I installed, but if I point a stock PHPBB 3.0.11 build to my database (with 200 posts, 500 users), the same problem appears.
So now I'm certain this has to be an issue with the database, which could mean the issue is caused by a particular ACP setting.

I would appreciate some guidance to troubleshoot this.
Thanks

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:30 am

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.

I remember seeing something like this not too long ago.

techman41973

Post by techman41973 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:47 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.11
What is your board's URL? http://n/a
Who do you host your board with? holisic solutions
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? english
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
When did your problem begin? After I reached above 30 posts or so on my board. Not exactly sure.
I am somewhat certain I didn't have this issue during the early stages of when my board was active
Please describe your problem. I've been trying to create the ability for users to see a list of all posts in my forum in chronological order, formatted as search results.
It makes it really convenient for users to scan a list of all content in my forum. I call this feature "Forum Timeline" and it's a link they can click on topic pages and the index page. The link is set as domain.com/forum/search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=*&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search
When a user clicks this link, it performs the same function as the user going to the advanced search page and filling in a wildcard (*) symbol for author and clicking Search.

This feature works great on a stock build of PHPBB 3.0.11, but doesn't work on my forum that has about 200+ posts and 500 users.
For some reason all posts from many authors are excluded. I don't see any pattern to the authors who's posts are excluded from the search results.
I know excluded authors and their posts are in the index, because if I do an advanced search, and type in their username in the author box and click search, their posts show up in the search results page.

I thought that issue could be a MOD I installed, but if I point a stock PHPBB 3.0.11 build to my database (with 200 posts, 500 users), the same problem appears.
So now I'm certain this has to be an issue with the database, which could mean the issue is caused by a particular ACP setting.

Thank you to Brf and others.

Generated by SRT Generator

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”