1st post in one section, then autopromote: how?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Gardus

1st post in one section, then autopromote: how?

Post by Gardus »

In my old IPB 1.3.1final forum new users could only post in the "introduction" section, with a new topic.
Then once they had posted they were auto-promoted to a different group that had access to most of the forum.

I recently upgraded to phpBB3 and I'm trying to set it up in the same way.

I would like to set it up like this:
-bots and guests can see the main forum
-once a user registers he goes into the newly registered group and can see only the introduction section, cannot reply but only open a new thread, forcing their actions.
-once he's done that he goes into the registered group and can reply and post in the main forum.

I have these difficulties:
1) I cannot differentiate the visibility of the sections between newly registered and registered.
Once a user register he goes into both groups!
2) Even if I set the permissions to the newly registered group so they can only open new thread in introduction, the registered group proprierties are applied and they can do whatever they want.

Anyone can help?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: 1st post in one section, then autopromote: how?

Post by KevC »

You need to set the newly registered users group ability to see the other forums to NEVER.

NEVER >> YES >> NO
Gardus wrote:1) I cannot differentiate the visibility of the sections between newly registered and registered.
Once a user register he goes into both groups!
That's because they have a yes permission for the registered users group overriding the no you're giving to the newly reg'd group.

Users need to be in both at the same time as the NRU group is designed to stop them doing some of the things you don't want.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Gardus

Re: 1st post in one section, then autopromote: how?

Post by Gardus »

Thanks! Now everything is working as intended.
Merry Christmas!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”