Why are my posts needing mod approval?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
laopencarry

Why are my posts needing mod approval?

Post by laopencarry » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:28 am

I am a system admin on our forums and my posts are coming up as needing mod approval all of a sudden! I can't find any settings or permissions that should be causing this. HELP!

Database size: 1.51 MiB
Database server: MySQL(i) 5.5.34-MariaDB-log
Board version: 3.0.12

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Why are my posts needing mod approval?

Post by Oyabun1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:27 am

Prior to phpBB 3.0.12, if a user had the can approve posts permission for a forum then they did not require the can post without approval permission in order to be able to post in it without post approval, but that has now been changed.

Make sure the moderators are in at least one group that has the can post without approval permission for each forum and that they are not in a group, such as the Newly Registered Users group, that specifically disallows that permission.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

laopencarry

Post by laopencarry » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:28 pm

What is the order/ranking when a user is in multiple groups? Say I have a user in an Officer group that has permissions to multiple forums and they are also in the Registered Users group that has access to fewer forums. Does the group with the greater permissions override the lesser group or should a user only be in a single group? I thought that users should get their permissions from their groups and not have the permissions set at the user level for forum access.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:40 pm

It's more to do with the actual permission.

Never >> Yes >> No.

Any group you're in with a never permission will stop you doing that thing, regardless of any other permissions. In your instance, one of the groups has a never permission for the ability to post without approval.

If you were in several groups with a no permissions to, say, make a new topic, and one group was set to yes, the yes permission will override all of the no's meaning you can post.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

laopencarry

Post by laopencarry » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:47 pm

Thank you very much. Lemme dig through the groups and double check the settings...

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:01 pm

There's a quick and easy way to check.

At the bottom of the permissions menu is the mask sction.

Choose the forum masks, choose a forum you can't post in and enter your name in the bottom left box on the next screen.

Then you'll get a page of green and red boxes for permissions. Find the line for posting without approval (misc tab) and click the O-> icon on the left of that line and it'll show you a page with all your groups and where the permissions are coming from.

I'll bet you're in the global mod group and that doesn't have permission to post freely.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

laopencarry

Post by laopencarry » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:06 pm

Kevin Clark wrote:I'll bet you're in the global mod group and that doesn't have permission to post freely.
BINGO!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”