Update from 3.01 to 3.12

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Martine M

Update from 3.01 to 3.12

Post by Martine M »

Hi everyone, hope someone can help me out.

I am helping a friend out who's forum had troubles with her forum last monday. Text came on top of the forum:

Code: Select all

[code]Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /public/sites/www.kippenforum.nl/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[/code]
She called support and they said she had to update her forum and so she called me.
I am used to work with SMF forums and I am fast learning phpBB now.
At the end it is almost the same but much different in how to do things and were to find so I am doing a quick learning of admin panel and mods and all but I need some help here.
I was suprized to see how long ago it was updated.

I downloaded first the step by step automatic updates HERE which did not work it gave me this error (the same):

Code: Select all

Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/index.php on line 111

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1109

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1186

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1349

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1384

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1395

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1431

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1445

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1468

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1637

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/install/install_update.php on line 1641

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/diff.php on line 48

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/diff.php on line 324

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/diff.php on line 345

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/diff.php on line 366

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/diff.php on line 387

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/diff.php on line 416

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/diff.php on line 551

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/diff.php on line 568

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/diff.php on line 762

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/engine.php on line 162

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/engine.php on line 180

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/engine.php on line 184

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/engine.php on line 188

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/renderer.php on line 108

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/renderer.php on line 133

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/renderer.php on line 153

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/renderer.php on line 452

Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in /www/htdocs/kippenfo/phpBB3/includes/diff/renderer.php on line 456
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/index.php on line 437: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /install/index.php:111)
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/index.php on line 438: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /install/index.php:111)
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/index.php on line 439: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /install/index.php:111)
    [phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/index.php on line 440: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /install/index.php:111)
and that was it.

I came across a topic on the Dutch support board which gave the same problem that was happening that Monday. so I tried what was told there
to download the latest full version 3.012,
unzip remove config.php file and images and files directory's.
Upload everything else to the root overwrite older files.
run database_update.php from your browser and let it it run fully.
Remove install folder and remove everything from the cach directory except index.htm and .htaccess

which I all did.

When I ran database update it took a very long time loading page while I stayed in the page that was opened before (I do not know if this is normal or not) at the end a page (and I am sorry I did not wrote that down but I had about enough at that point) first it said something about successfully and a bit lower it gave an error. that was it and now I am not sure if all went well or not.

What do I see?
When I go to admin panel it still says that the phpBB is not up to date and a bit lower it still is saying 3.01.
But all is running perfectly, the error is gone and there are no other troubles.
I even see some new things that work also in the Galacier theme so the database must have updated.
I checked the style pages of subsilver and prosilver2 and there is a referring to 3.012 but that was include in the zip packages of coarse.

can someone tell me what to check or what to do now?
Last edited by Martine M on Thu May 01, 2014 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Update from 3.01 to 3.12

Post by Oyabun1 »

Martine M wrote:I downloaded first the step by step automatic updates HERE which did not work it gave me this error (the same):
Not sure how you did that since an update from 3.0.1 to 3.0.12 is not provided?

Anyway,for some quick version checks:
  1. Download this file – support_info.php
  2. Upload it to the root of your board installation.
  3. Navigate your browser to the file (generally, just replace index.php in your board address with support_info .php, so for example, the address here would be https://www.phpbb.com/community/support_info.php)
  4. Select: Version
  5. Copy and paste the information it shows in the blue box to here.
  6. Then delete the file. (The script displays a button to delete itself.)
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Martine M

Post by Martine M »

Oyabun1 no I meant that I tried to do it step by step. 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 and so on.

Thanks for the info I'll checked it tomorow.

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

Martine M wrote:Oyabun1 no I meant that I tried to do it step by step. 3.0.1 to 3.0.2 and so on.
This would take forever, and is a bad way to go. 3.0.1 is very very old, and any changes made to the code will probably not work on 3.0.12. The simplest solution is therefore to start with a fresh set of 3.0.12 files and re-apply any customization to them. We can help you with this, if you like.

A link to the forum would likewise help.

You can temporarily fix this problem by doing the following:
Download a fresh copy of phpBB 3.0.12 from here: https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/
On your friend's server, rename common.php to common_old.php
Upload a fresh copy of common.php and includes/startup.php to the server (from the package you downloaded).

That should get the site working while you update it properly.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Martine M

Post by Martine M »

http://www.kippenforum.nl/

I am very thankful you are helping me I will run the support.info.php in a minute

Marshalrusty after trying it step by step which did not work I already did uploaded a fresh full copy of 3.0.12 and overwrite all files after removing config.php file and images and files directory's from the zip first, and the forum is working fine since then. So I think I can skip that step of your advice? Or do I understand wrong?

The forum is a very big and busy forum so I have to announce if forum will go out for a while.
She hope's we can keep the them Glacier cause most people are using it, it is set as forum standard to.
I said I'll do my best but can't promise.

I am going to run the file now, be back after.
Last edited by Martine M on Thu May 01, 2014 7:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Martine M

Post by Martine M »

I ran support_info.php this is the result.

Version Settings
Board start date: 23 Sep 2002
constants.php version: 3.0.12
Cached version: 3.0.1
DB version: 3.0.1

This is showing what I already suspected that the database update did not work correctly.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

It would probably be best to do an update using the file replacement method because it is unclear what files have or have not been updated. This will also mean that and MODs to the core files will be removed, but they are not likely to work correctly on the latest version anyway. This will also bring the database up to date.
  1. Backup all board files and the database.
  2. Download the full package.
  3. Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 folder.
  4. Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images and /files folders from the package.
  5. Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and folders to the root of your board installation on the server overwriting the existing files.
  6. In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/instal ... update.php
  7. Let that run to completion.
  8. Via FTP or SSH delete the /install folder from the root of your board installation.
  9. Done.
You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts.

Only use a good FTP or SSH client, such as FileZilla, to transfer the files. (File transfer utilities provided in host control panels can cause problems.)

Please note: Any 3rd party style (styles other than prosilver and subsilver2) will also require updating, style and board versions must match. Since your SF_Glacier style is so far out of date it may be better to look for an up to date version and redo your changes to it or find and version that is closer to current and update from there.
                      Support Request Template

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

Martine M wrote:Marshalrusty after trying it step by step which did not work I already did uploaded a fresh full copy of 3.0.12 and overwrite all files after removing config.php file and images and files directory's from the zip first, and the forum is working fine since then. So I think I can skip that step of your advice? Or do I understand wrong?
No, you don't have to do anything else to the files, but you do have to update the database (as confirmed by that script you ran).

From the 3.0.12 package you downloaded, upload the install folder to your server. Navigate to {your forum's URL}/install/database_update.php. After this runs and gives you the success message, delete the install folder.

Now you're done.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Martine M

Post by Martine M »

Well I did all that before what you are telling me to do now.

But somehow the database update did not work.
I did not use Fillezilla at that point but I am using it now.

I will try it again maybe a second time it will work.
What is expected to happen when I start the database update? I mean what will I see? A progress bar or something?

I'll take backups again now and I will try this again late tonight so members are notified and they are almost in to bed. :lol:

This time I will write down the error if any comes up.

Is this an official phpBB style page?
http://www.phpbb3styles.net/

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

Martine M wrote:What is expected to happen when I start the database update?
Something like:
Updating database to latest stable release.png
Updating database to latest stable release.png (51.75 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
Martine M wrote: Is this an official phpBB style page?
http://www.phpbb3styles.net/
No.

This is our Styles database
                      Support Request Template

Martine M

Post by Martine M »

Ok thanks, I'll get back here when I tried it again.

Martine M

Post by Martine M »

I am starting at 10 pm (that is in 8 hours) I hope someone will still be here to guide if something must go wrong?

If not I will of coarse put back the backups or maybe start another day?

I backed up database as SCV and SQL to be sure one works.

I sometimes think connection with database is very slow or difficult could that be because of old the version number?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

There is always someone around, but not all posts get answered immediately.
Martine M wrote:I sometimes think connection with database is very slow or difficult could that be because of old the version number?
Unlikely, although there has been some optimisation of some queries since your version. You may just be reaching the limits of the resources of your current database server due to the size of your board.
                      Support Request Template

Martine M

Post by Martine M »

If I know someone is around I'll wait patiently. ;)

I'll see if I can check that out about the limit.

Is there a way to make prosilver smaler after the update untill we find another theme if needed?
Forum wide.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

Support Request Template

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”