How to make my forum available?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
alex-k

How to make my forum available?

Post by alex-k » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:37 am

Hello, so I've downloaded phpBB3 and successfully installed using XAMMP (local host). I've put my own domain by using the board settings, but it is still not accessible for everyone. What should I do? Sorry if I'm asking like a no-brainer but I'm really new to this, I used to create a forum directly from the forum website but never downloaded software to run a forum. So, what should I do to make my forum available on the internet and not just on my local host?

Thank you so much for your time, any help would be greatly appreciated!

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How to make my forum available?

Post by KevC » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:54 am

You should by some hosting and put it on there. Opening up your own PC to the internet is not a good idea and may be against the T&Cs of your ISP.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

alex-k

Post by alex-k » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:01 am

Kevin Clark wrote:You should by some hosting and put it on there. Opening up your own PC to the internet is not a good idea and may be against the T&Cs of your ISP.
Are you saying getting phpBB3 is not a good idea as I'm completely uneducated about running it or that it is not a good idea to run it without getting a web hosting?

DanesDK

Post by DanesDK » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:28 am

alex-k wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:You should by some hosting and put it on there. Opening up your own PC to the internet is not a good idea and may be against the T&Cs of your ISP.
Are you saying getting phpBB3 is not a good idea as I'm completely uneducated about running it or that it is not a good idea to run it without getting a web hosting?

Get a webhost.. That is the safest and easiest..

marian0810
Former Team Member
Name: Marian

Post by marian0810 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:32 pm

alex-k wrote:Are you saying getting phpBB3 is not a good idea as I'm completely uneducated about running it
But then this forum would be empty, we all started out that way ;)
or that it is not a good idea to run it without getting a web hosting?
Yes this :)
You and me, time and space. You watch us run!

PinoyEngine™

Post by PinoyEngine™ » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:32 pm

Ok to answer the OPs question.

Ofcourse you can make your website available. But here are some things you can start on learning "how to use your computer as server for your website"

First, you must know that one "connect" to your computer using your IP address. (actually there's some port you must consider) Example. try typing "ping google.com" on your command prompt. From there you can see Google.com's IP address, copy pasting those IP address to your browser would also connect you to Google.com. Awesome isn't it?
Second, knowing the first, you must know if the IP of you internet connection is static or dynamic, how would they access your "computer-website" if you keep changing your IP? There's no worries, if your IP is dynamic, fortunately, there's a tool that will make your IP static. Cool isn't it?
Third, now we just need something to keep your server alive, I'm not gonna explain it now. But it comes as DNS.

All of those you can learn if you just Google it, but honestly, you won't get the answers here at the forum.
And you can do all of that for free. For those tool try checking any of the following services: no-ip, freedns, dyndns, etc.

Goodluck.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”