3.0.8 to 3.0.12 - Update w/Heavy Mods???

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
BadCompany

3.0.8 to 3.0.12 - Update w/Heavy Mods???

Post by BadCompany »

Oh the joy I'm going to have upgrading a very heavily mod'd forum.

I really don't want to run the Automatic Updater nor do I want to just replace the files due to the massive amount of mods that have been placed on many files.... what are my options?

Is it easy to export the user database to a new board? and reinstall all the mods, or would it be better just to buckle down and replace line for line the old fashioned way on all files (which I don't mind doing).

I checked out the Code Changes but it wants to do an Automatic update from 3.0.8 to 3.0.12 - I'm sure will produce a mega list of issues.

I checked out the Patch Files, but it really doesn't have the old way of showing me what to find, and replace with... maybe I'm not looking correctly here?

I checked out the Changed Files Only, but again there are a ton of mods that have changed things since 3.0.8 was released.

If moving to a different board is easier than the task at hand, then how do I move the Users? Even if they have to change their passwords, is fine. I just don't want to have to enter in all again manually, and personally I'd rather not do it that way because of the massive amount of permissions that would have to change back to how they are.

Fun!

Please let me know the best course of action to take. Not really caring about simplicity, but I'm pretty sure an Automatic anything will screw everything up.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: 3.0.8 to 3.0.12 - Update w/Heavy Mods???

Post by Brf »

If you are moving to a "different board", then I assume you would not have any of your mods.
Would it not be easier to simply do a file replacement and database update?
BadCompany

Post by BadCompany »

I'm only "moving" to a new board if updating current board from 3.0.8 to 3.0.12 is going to be harder than normal. Doing the File Replacement would entell me to update all files with the mods that have been installed. So that's why I was hoping to have a find and replace option from x.8 to x.12 available. However I don't see those files in any of the zips I downloaded. Then do the database update.
BadCompany

Post by BadCompany »

I suppose either way I go, there will be a heavy update, or maybe now would be a good time to clean out the unused mods that may or may not work on x12 vs x8. I will try what you said and see how it goes. I just fear screwing things up, as it is heavily used and relied on.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

1. Backup all board files and the database.
  2. Download the full package.
  3. Unzip to your desktop and open the phpBB3 folder.
  4. Remove (delete) the config.php file, and the /images and /files folders from the package.
  5. Via FTP or SSH upload the remaining files and folders to the root of your board installation on the server overwriting the existing files.
  6. In your browser go to http://www.example.com/yourforum/instal ... update.php
  7. Let that run to completion.
  8. Via FTP or SSH delete the /install folder from the root of your board installation.
  9. Done.
You now have a new up to date board containing all your users and posts.

Only use a good FTP or SSH client, such as FileZilla, to transfer the files. (File transfer utilities provided in host control panels can cause problems.)

Please note: Any 3rd party style (styles other than prosilver and subsilver2) will also require updating, style and board versions must match.
BadCompany

Post by BadCompany »

Thanks, I'll be trying this tonight and will respond here if any issues arise.
5hocK

Post by 5hocK »

You could always setup an exact copy of your board on localhost; update and choose merge, then it'll only be your style to update manually. You may be surprised just how well merging works and any errors will normally point to a certain Mod. which is usually easy enough to fix.
Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server (Much easier than it may at first seem)
BadCompany

Post by BadCompany »

Thanks Brf for the info. Your way worked well.. I didn't try doing 5hock's way but will look into that in the future after updating everything else so I can have a working duplicate. Now time to go in and add all the updates to the language files and functions that I had created for links and such and making a new style to match that which I had from the new. The process was rather painless, as I was expecting major issues. As they say, expect the worse and things will be a-okay.

/hats off :D
BadCompany

3.0.12 to 3.0.14 - Update w/Heavy Mods???

Post by BadCompany »

Well, figured instead of cluttering up the community, I'd just reply to my own topic.

I'm going to do what I did last time, except, this time around, I'm finding it difficult to locate the updates that needs to be done to the Style that I have created for this patch

3.0.12 to 3.0.14

Then after I officially get to 3.0.14 I want to move the board to the newly updated 3.1.x or possibly wait until 3.2 comes out.

Any suggestions where I might find the Style updates so I can "find" "replace" "add after" add before" on my style?

Also, I did try this once already to update from 3.0.12 to 3.0.14 but I was getting session and adm errors. I have since reverted my backed up database/files back to how they were prior to starting.

I know I'm running out of time for support on this.. (Jan 1, 2017)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

when you move to 3.1 or 3.2 you can not use any of the old files or MODs or styles except for the config.php file.

you will not lose any of your forums/topics/members/etc.

you will replace all old files with new ones except for the config.php file, the files folder and the images folder.

then you run the database_update.php file if going to 3.1 and just access the install folder and click the update tab if going to 3.2

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
BadCompany

Post by BadCompany »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:when you move to 3.1 or 3.2 you can not use any of the old files or MODs or styles except for the config.php file.

you will not lose any of your forums/topics/members/etc.

you will replace all old files with new ones except for the config.php file, the files folder and the images folder.

then you run the database_update.php file if going to 3.1 and just access the install folder and click the update tab if going to 3.2

robert
Ooh, so, going from 3.0.12 to 3.0.14 then up to 3.1 is really something I shouldn't worry about, and just go now to 3.1.x. hmm. Okay.. thanks for that tid bit of info. Is there a style class? lol, I wanna be able to recreate the style we use on 3.1.x and or 3.2 if it's any different than 3.1.
BadCompany

Re: 3.0.12 to 3.1.x - Update w/Heavy Mods???

Post by BadCompany »

After thinking about this for a moment, I have a boat load of pages that I've created over the years that I still use, that uses the style theme that I created for 3.0.12.

I'm assuming (ya ya ya) that there is a page on creating blank pages and such for the basic styles with 3.1.x?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

BadCompany wrote:I'm assuming that there is a page on creating blank pages
Yes, you can use the same one as in the KB Add a New Custom Page to phpBB or, for 3.1, there's the pages extension.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
BadCompany

Post by BadCompany »

Mick wrote:
BadCompany wrote:I'm assuming that there is a page on creating blank pages
Yes, you can use the same one as in the KB Add a New Custom Page to phpBB or, for 3.1, there's the pages extension.
Okay, but if I am using v. 3.1.10, I can only use the pages extension? Or can I still create pages like I did when I was using 3.0.12?

I was going to copy the index.php file and name it test.php for instance and then work with adding the specific files needed on the style.

Also, one quick question is <! -- EVENT the same as <! -- INCLUDE when dealing with pulling specific files into a page?
david63

Post by david63 »

BadCompany wrote:is <! -- EVENT the same as <! -- INCLUDE when dealing with pulling specific files into a page?
No.

<! -- EVENT is used by extensions to perform some operation at that point, which could be the including of a file, or executing some html.

<! -- INCLUDE is what it says - it will include a file at that point within a template.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”