SubSilver2 vs ProSilver

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
DragonMaster1
Name: Terry

SubSilver2 vs ProSilver

Post by DragonMaster1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:23 pm

I have a 304 board that I spent years making, that was made with Subsilver2 and it's mods. I'm looking to update to the most current version of PHPbb3 and remove all old mods and just keep the posts and start over with new modifications as needed.

What I am wondering is how to tell what version/style of PHPbb3 a mod is made for? And thoughts on if I should make the new board using Prosilver, as that seems to be the way most current templates are now heading.

Is there any particular advantage to using Prosilver over Subsilver2?
I actually kinna liked the names & profiles on the left side, so is having them on the right going to be of any advantage or disadvantage? Also...are there more or better mods for Prosilver rather than Subsilver2, as I have been seeing that Subsilver is slowly fading away even though many people (like myself) still like it's looks and user interface?

I don't want to spend a lot of time only to find out that the style choice I made is soon to be obsolete.

Thanks for any comments that will help me decide what to do.

Jessica
Former Team Member
Name: Jessica

Re: SubSilver2 vs ProSilver

Post by Jessica » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:48 am

All mods are made to work on prosilver, some also on subsilver. It is up to you if you want to make your board style Prosilver. I would say yes, but it's ultimately your decision.

Having profiles on the right is not much different than having them on the right...in other words, there are really no advantages or disadvantages (my opinion though).

I think there are "more or better" mods for Prosilver, seeing as there are a couple mods not compatible with subsilver. All mods should be compatible with prosilver.
Please do not PM me for support unless it is absolutely necessary
Pro-choice, Atheist, Pro-LGBT rights

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:02 am

As 3.1 is just 'around the corner' I'd be inclined to wait and go for that version instead when it goes gold. The modifications (now called extensions) are very different in 3.1 and don't require code edits.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

DragonMaster1
Name: Terry

Post by DragonMaster1 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:17 am

Kevin Clark wrote:As 3.1 is just 'around the corner' I'd be inclined to wait and go for that version instead when it goes gold. The modifications (now called extensions) are very different in 3.1 and don't require code edits.
Thanx, I think that would be a good thing to do. Changing all this is hard enough without having to do it again soon.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”