uploading header via ftp using chromebook

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
ukturbo

uploading header via ftp using chromebook

Post by ukturbo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:05 pm

First post and a real novice here, but i cannot seem to upload a new header to my prosilver based (iconic green) forum.
I did a search online and read that its not possible to upload direct to ftp from a chromebook. I was told it was possible to do via a different approach but was quite complicated to do. I dont have access to a windows/mac machine and i have very limited knowledge of computers so any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

ukturbo

Re: uploading header via ftp using chromebook

Post by ukturbo » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:17 pm

no one ?

Khaos-Rage

Post by Khaos-Rage » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:17 pm

The only way I have found is to ssh into my server and push the file up. If you don't have ssh access then your out of luck.

Secure Shell Chrome extension by Google

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:25 pm

You would be better to ask on a site that offers support for Chromebook or maybe your host.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

ukturbo

Post by ukturbo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:28 pm

"ssh, push it up" ? ....... well as i said, i am a novice, so i guess i will go ask elsewhere

soumik

Post by soumik » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:27 pm

You can try Dreamhost's free web based FTP client. Be forewarned that you are sharing your authentication details with the website and it's not recommended until you have exhausted all other options. More info on it here.

You can also set up net2ftp, a hosted FTP client on your server and use it to FTP into your server. This is a relatively less risky thing to do since the software in it's vanilla form does not store passwords, and even if it did it will be stored on your server, which you can remove by simply deleting the net2ftp folder.