403 Forbidden ?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
CDT015

403 Forbidden ?

Post by CDT015 »

I have been helping run a forum now for 4 years, its a fairly busy forum (we think so anyway)
We have had very few problems so far, about 12 months ago we moved to a new host and had even less issues with down time etc.
Now, in the last few weeks a few members have reported this 403 error.
I can only replicate the issue with one particular post.
Any ideas?
aussiedistiller.com.au
Cheers
Danielx64
Name: Daniel

Re: 403 Forbidden ?

Post by Danielx64 »

It sounds like that mod_security may be causing this. You will need to talk with your host about it.
Please note that I will not be porting any of my mods to phpBB 3.1. Sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.
soumik

Post by soumik »

Unrelated to your issue, but the cookies set by your board do not specify a domain. Make sure you put "aussiedistiller.com.au" (without the quotes) as the cookie domain in the cookie settings in the ACP.
Powered by chocolate
CDT015

Post by CDT015 »

Danielx64 wrote:It sounds like that mod_security may be causing this. You will need to talk with your host about it.
Could you explain a little more about this please.
soumik wrote:Unrelated to your issue, but the cookies set by your board do not specify a domain. Make sure you put "aussiedistiller.com.au" (without the quotes) as the cookie domain in the cookie settings in the ACP.
Thanks, will do
soumik

Post by soumik »

Mod_security is an Apache module that is used to protect websites from various attacks. Sometimes it's triggered falsely by certain keywords. Since you are having problems with one particular post, it's likely that mod_security being triggered by a certain word in it.

You can disable mod_security (specifically scanning of POST data) by putting these lines in a .htaccess file in the root of your forum -

Code: Select all

<IfModule mod_security.c>
SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>
If this doesn't resolve your issue, it's something else.
Last edited by soumik on Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.