Flashes White Page W/ Text & No HTML When Logging In/Out

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Selective

Post by Selective »

UPDATE: 09/18/2014

Problem has now been fixed, view last posts for the cause of the problem and the solution. Thanks to everyone who helped. This was driving me crazy...
UPDATE: 09/15/2014

People keep mixing up information in this topic, so I'm posting this to get everyone updated on the actual problem and what is actually going on.

No error logs will have this error listed, phpBB works, and log in and log out works! This error is purely an annoying visual glitch, AND IT MUST BE FIXED!!!

In my phpbb forum, anytime someone logs in to the forum, or logs out of the forum, or when I log into the ACP, a page will flash white with just text and no images. Here is video so you can see what it looks like. Flashes White Page W/ Text & No HTML When Logging In/Out

The phpbb.com support forums claim their downloads and all of their styles are fine and that the problem is either a web hosting problem, or the phpbb and/or added styles could have somehow been changed or corrupted during upload and installation. However, turns out many users of the phpbb forum have this problem and do nothing about it, meaning there's nothing that can be done about it with the majority of web hosts out there, which also implies that phpbb has a bug that only shows up on half of the web hosts out there!

The script itself is a combination of php and css, and the problem happens with almost any style added, so the problem is not limited to just one style. This does not happen with prosilver, subsilver2, or any styles that keep their exact layout, but other styles like CA Orbital, Dark FX, Dualcore, and Graand (Red), do show the problem!

The style I'm trying to use is CA_Orbital

To see how CA_Orbital should look and act when logging in and out (without the annoying glitch), you can make a free forum and select the style CA_Orbital on almost any free forum web site.

Clearing the cache in my browser did not solve the problem, and because the style works on other web hosts, I do know it isn't my computer or browser. However, some browsers will not show the problem while other browsers will show the problem. I am currently using Fire Fox to see the problem.

I left my last web host because I had this same problem and they couldn't find a solution to get rid of the problem. I am now on my second web host and they are faster and have better support, but still showing the same problem.

My current Web Host is Linux on a shared Server, with the web space and database on the same server.

I had my Web Host verify I was doing the downloading and uploading and installing of the phpbb and style correctly by having them do it also, and neither of us can do it without the error being present.

If you are having the same problem, post and say so.

If you do not have this problem, pm me and let me know what web host so I can figure out what my web host is doing wrong.

Thanks.
At first I thought it was the sever I was on or the phpbb script itself, but I was able to narrow the problem down to the style CA_Orbital when I tried the other style prosilver and upon jumping back and forth between these two styles, the problem only exists with the CA_Orbital style.

My second step at trouble shooting this problem was to make sure I have the newest version of CA_Orbital, and I do, CA_Orbital 3.0.12

I then glanced at my folders, and everything is in the correct place. My guess is that the problem is located somewhere in /styles/ca_orbital/template/

but there are 105 items in that folder, and I'm not sure where I should begin to look, or exactly what I'm looking for. The only clue I have is that it happens upon logging in and logging out. Can anyone help?
Last edited by Selective on Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Flashes White Page W/ Text & No HTML When Logging In/Out

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

we need a link to your board first.

it is more likely a problem with the css files than the template files.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Selective

Post by Selective »

I tried deleting the style from the ACP, then removing all the files, and checking to make sure it was completely removed from the database.

Then removed all the CA_Orbital files from my desktop, and then redownloaded the CA_Orbital files to my desktop, then uploaded those to my phpbb site. Made sure all files were there and in the correct place, then installed CA_Orbital again in the ACP........ and same problem, it's still happening.

Here is video of it during log in and log out

I figured a video of it would be better than asking everyone to go onto my forum, seeing that the problem is only visible, it's easier for everyone to quickly see this way.

NOTE: The problem started ever since I first installed CA_Orbital and used it for the first time. My other style was pre-installed. So could I be installing it wrong? I didn't use an FTP, do I need to?
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

To receive style support, for styles obtained from this site, please visit our Styles database and post in the specific style’s designated Discussion/Support forum. The link to the support area for each released style is also available in the first post of each released style listed in the [3.0.x] Styles Database Releases forum.

General support requests regarding styles should be made in [3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion.

For styles not obtained from this site you would need to seek support from where you obtained the style.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Selective

Post by Selective »

Thanks Oyabun1, I didn't see the [3.0.x] Styles Support & Discussion section.

Could someone please move this topic there for me so I don't have to create another topic.

Thanks.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

Since it is specific to one style, as explained, you need to post in the dedicated support forum for that particular style. The Styles Database is not part of this board so topics cannot be moved there.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Selective

Post by Selective »

Oyabun1 wrote:Since it is specific to one style, as explained, you need to post in the dedicated support forum for that particular style. The Styles Database is not part of this board so topics cannot be moved there.
on 9-5-2014 I did say...
Selective wrote:I was able to narrow the problem down to the style CA_Orbital when I tried the other style prosilver and upon jumping back and forth between these two styles, the problem only exists with the CA_Orbital style.
but then on 9-6-2014 I said...
Selective wrote:NOTE: The problem started ever since I first installed CA_Orbital and used it for the first time. My other style was pre-installed. So could I be installing it wrong? I didn't use an FTP, do I need to?
No one has answered my last question yet, so it may not be a style problem, it may be an install problem, seeing I can't find a single person on the entire internet that has the same problem with any style.
david63

Post by david63 »

From what I could see from the brief flash on the video this is not an uncommon event on many sites and is, as Lumpy Burgertushie said earlier, a css issue. This happens when the page content is loaded into the browser before the css has been rendered and is usually caused by a lack of resources somewhere - it could be the server, the browser or the computer that you are running on or it may be a bloated css file
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Selective

Post by Selective »

@David63

If the pre-installed style prosilver worked just fine, then wouldn't that rule out the possibility of it being my computer, browser, and the sever?

I'm replacing my css files right now by FTP, but no luck so far.
david63

Post by david63 »

Selective wrote:If the pre-installed style prosilver worked just fine, then wouldn't that rule out the possibility of it being my computer, browser, and the sever?
Not necessarily as the css will be different
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Selective

Post by Selective »

I just deleted the style again in the ACP, then checked to makes sure all files were gone in the file manager, then tried uploading the whole style again by FTP, and then installed it in ACP, and still the same problem, so I guess at this point I can rule out it being the upload process.

If it's not the upload process, and all files are there and installed properly, what else can I check?

I guess download and install other styles and see if it happens to all styles I try? I'll do this now and see what happens.
Selective

Post by Selective »

I just installed the DarkFX Style, and same thing.

I installed DarkFX by FTP though, so what's the deal here????

What can I do next?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
Selective

Post by Selective »

Mick wrote:Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
Here it is.

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.x
What is your board's URL? No answer given
Who do you host your board with? No answer given
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? Yes
What MODs do you have installed? Static Pages
What styles do you currently have installed? ca_orbital
What language(s) is your board currently using? en
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
When did your problem begin? first time using the forum
Please describe your problem. http://tinypic.com/r/2e0vaqd/8

Logging in and logging out of the forum and the ACP causes the page to flash white with only text and no html. Happens for any style I install, but not the prosilver style that came with the phpbb set up.
Generated by SRT Generator
Selective

Post by Selective »

I submitted a ticket to my sever support team, to see if the problem is on their end.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”