Database table "phpbb_posts" corrupted regularly. How to fix?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
WWu777

Re: Database table "phpbb_posts" corrupted regularly. How to fix?

Post by WWu777 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:just about any time this type of problem comes up it is a problem with the host's database server.

if your host does not know this or will not fix it for you then you really should be finding a new host.

I have not heard of any situation where tables get corrupted on a regular basis that it is not attributed to a problem with the server.
if it is related to your database getting bigger then that too is a problem that your host has to deal with etc.

robert
Well you know as well as I do that they too will say that it's a problem with the source code and developer of phpbb. If you were Bluehost's tech support, you would say that I'm sure. And you know it. lol. :P

Well maybe the database repair tool isn't really repairing it. Maybe the corruption is something deep that is not getting fixed. That's why it keeps coming back. At this point the repair tool no longer is fixing it. The error keeps coming up. But the forum seems to work ok. Any idea what that error message even means?
david63

Post by david63 »

You could always make a backup of your database, create a new database and restore the backup to the new database. You will, of course, have to edit your config.php file so that it points to your new database and the delete all the files in the cache folder except index.htm and .htaccess

If you do not have any problems then delete the old database.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

david63 wrote:You could always make a backup of your database, create a new database and restore the backup to the new database. You will, of course, have to edit your config.php file so that it points to your new database and the delete all the files in the cache folder except index.htm and .htaccess

If you do not have any problems then delete the old database.
But wouldn't the backup version of the database contain the same corrupted table? I use MySQLDumper to backup my databases into a gzip file.

I have tried to open the corrupted table via phpmyadmin to try to fix it, but it's so big that it always times out and causes a page load error. I know of no way of opening a big database file. After a certain size, opening it will free your computer. It's kind of like how trying to open a 500 MB text file will freeze your word processor as well.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

once again, if this was a problem with phpbb , I would think that anybody with a medium size board as yours is, would be having the same problem. they are not, there are many, many boards that are a lot bigger than yours that do not have this problem.

you could try david's suggestion. the problem is not likely to be in the data or structure of the phpbb database for the reasons I mentioned above.

therefore, if there is a problem on the server side with that particular database, creating a new one just might be the answer.

if so, that will prove that it is not a phpbb problem.

and/or contact bluehost support again, ask for level two support and explain the situation.

if they know what they are doing, they will at least try to figure out what the problem is.

and, no, If I was doing support for your site and you showed me this problem, I would not just pass the buck to phpbb. no decent support tech just passes the buck . many so called support techs do that because they are either lazy or just don't know what they are doing.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Does this issue produce any problems in the operation of phpBB?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Slackervaara

Post by Slackervaara »

Have you tried in phpMyadmin SQL-command in window:

REPAIR tablename;
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:once again, if this was a problem with phpbb , I would think that anybody with a medium size board as yours is, would be having the same problem. they are not, there are many, many boards that are a lot bigger than yours that do not have this problem.

you could try david's suggestion. the problem is not likely to be in the data or structure of the phpbb database for the reasons I mentioned above.

therefore, if there is a problem on the server side with that particular database, creating a new one just might be the answer.

if so, that will prove that it is not a phpbb problem.

and/or contact bluehost support again, ask for level two support and explain the situation.

if they know what they are doing, they will at least try to figure out what the problem is.

and, no, If I was doing support for your site and you showed me this problem, I would not just pass the buck to phpbb. no decent support tech just passes the buck . many so called support techs do that because they are either lazy or just don't know what they are doing.

robert
You mean I create a new database table and then enter it and use the restore command to migrate my forum database into it? Wouldn't that carry the corrupted table over to it once I use the restore command?

Well you know how people are these days, especially the young generation. They are like zombies and dumbed down from the mind numbing trashy music they listen to that dumbs them down. Webhost companies usually hire young generation people fresh out of high school or college as support staff.
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

stevemaury wrote:Does this issue produce any problems in the operation of phpBB?
It doesn't seem like it does. Maybe it slows down the forum? Who knows. But I don't notice any error in the forum operation due to the corruption of this table. There are a few bugs, such as when I try to build a search index, it times out and results in error messages. Also, when I'm checking the database, anyone using the forum gets a "users maxed out" error in the forum, but that only lasts a few minutes. I assume it's because the database is busy?

Does Bluehost have a good reputation for hosting phpbb forums?

So there's no correlation between forum sizes and table corruption?
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Slackervaara wrote:Have you tried in phpMyadmin SQL-command in window:

REPAIR tablename;
How do I do that? You mean in phpmyadmin? I can't repair in phpmyadmin because it times out and freezes cause the database is so big. Or do you mean in DOS? How do I repair the database in DOS? DOS would be a lot easier and less complicated.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

There is no "DOS". Do you have a command line interface?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
3Di
Former Team Member
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

Seems like relationships break something there in your DB.

Which extensions do you have there installed and runnig? A list please.

Consider to run this Tool:
http://3di.space/32/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2
and report the results.

Consider ALSO to fill out the Support Request Template and report.
https://www.phpbb.com/support/srt/
To request support for our extensions you can also contact me here: phpBB Studio

Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you! 🚀
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

Slackervaara wrote:Have you tried in phpMyadmin SQL-command in window:

REPAIR tablename;
Ok I just tried that. You mean in the SQL Query window in phpmyadmin right? I'm there now. When I type "REPAIR phpbb_posts", I get this error message:

"#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'phpbb_posts' at line 1"

What does that mean? How do I execute that command properly?
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

stevemaury wrote:There is no "DOS". Do you have a command line interface?
I think so. I see a box that says SQL Query. Is this it? See screenshot below. If so, I get error messages when I try to run that command mentioned above.
Untitled.png
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

3Di wrote:Seems like relationships break something there in your DB.

Which extensions do you have there installed and runnig? A list please.

Consider to run this Tool:
and report the results.

Consider ALSO to fill out the Support Request Template and report.
https://www.phpbb.com/support/srt/
What's an extension mean? Can you explain or give me an example?

Ok I'll try that tool.

I already filled out the support request template. Scroll up and see page 1 of this topic thread. :P

viewtopic.php?p=14473076#p14473076

How do I use your mini toolkit here:

https://gist.github.com/3D-I/3dd7e3f7bf1fb5fc5261

Do I download some file and upload it and run it? The file called "right_install.php"? How do I download that file and run it? Or do I create it by copying and pasting your code?
WWu777

Post by WWu777 »

3Di wrote: Consider to run this Tool:
and report the results.
Ok I ran your mini tool kit by creating that file "right_install.php" and uploading it and running it. Here are the results:
Congratulations!
Your CONSTANTS file belongs to phpBB 3.0.12
Your DB says you are running phpBB 3.0.12
Your PHP version says you are running PHP 5.4.28
The following stats are just for information purposes at the present time
The file config.php exists, size: 425 bytes
Available stream wrappers: https, ftps, compress.zlib, php, file, glob, data, http, ftp, phar, zip
PHP module json: loaded
PHP module getimagesize: loaded
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/right_install.php on line 178: array_combine(): Both parameters should have an equal number of elements
Return to index page
General Error
One or more styles uploaded are for a different version of phpBB
or the uploaded style/s have been wrongly uploaded, check the styles folders.

BACKTRACE

FILE: (not given by php)
LINE: (not given by php)
CALL: msg_handler()

FILE: [ROOT]/right_install.php
LINE: 180
CALL: trigger_error()
It doesn't seem that there are any database issues, according to that report.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”