[Resolved] Conversion disaster from 3.0.12 to 3.1.2

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
PCTalk

Re: Conversion disaster from 3.0.12 to 3.1.2

Post by PCTalk »

I just got notification, which I have since verified, that the hosts techs have been able to restore one of my backups from the day before, so nothing important was lost.

I have now run the STK Database Cleaner, deleted all the old files and folders from my forum (except the ones I needed to keep!), reloaded clean files and folders from a newly extracted v3.0.12, and verified I now have a working forum again. I truly think it was the Mod database entries that caused the problem. I wish I knew what I had done wrong. I did uninstall all Mods before trying to update but, even though it showed they had been uninstalled, the effects were still seen. That should have clued me into the fact that the database wasn't clean. :(

I am now seriously thinking about just leaving the old forum in place with registration turned off and starting a new forum with the new software. Then I will be assured that the old data is safe and the new forum can start fresh.

The old forum has:
Total posts 7399
Total topics 1146
It was started in June of 2014

Any ideas or suggestions?
Visit PCTalk.info to see my teaching website.
Wildtangent has closed their forum. See my member created substitute at Wildtangent Fansite.
Support Request Template - Knowledge Base
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: [Resolved] Conversion disaster from 3.0.12 to 3.1.2

Post by HiFiKabin »

If you have removed all of the mods and cleaned the database with the STK (which you have done) then the forum should convert without error using the method already noted.

Make a local backup of the database first, so if it does all go wonky you have it to hand ready to restore your forum.
PCTalk

Post by PCTalk »

OK, I spoke too soon. The forum structure is there but I can't read any of the posts. :(

When I try to read a post, I get the following:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method bbcode::spoil_pass() in /hermes/bosnaweb01b/b899/ipw.wildtangentfansiteco/public_html/Forum/includes/bbcode.php(112) : regexp code on line 1
I don't understand where this hermes garbage is coming from. I NEVER installed the hermes style!

At this point I would be willing to pay some not too exorbitant amount to have a php professional take the last database I created and recover it so we can move on from there. I would much prefer to work with or through one of the Admins on the forum here so I feel I have some basis for trust with whomever is willing to try the recovery.
Wildtangent has closed their forum. See my member created substitute at Wildtangent Fansite.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

PCTalk wrote:I don't understand where this hermes garbage is coming from. I NEVER installed the hermes style!
The reference to hermes isn't a style, it is the name of a directory on the server, nothing to do with phpBB itself.

The error is probably related to a spoiler BBcode, Did you have a MOD that added that?
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

sorry, that was my mistake. I saw the hermes in the path and didnt check properly and assumed it was talking about the hermes style.

sorry,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
PCTalk

Post by PCTalk »

Now when I try to read a topic I get the error:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method bbcode::spoil_pass() in /hermes/bosnaweb01b/b899/ipw.wildtangentfansiteco/public_html/Forum/includes/bbcode.php(112) : regexp code on line 1
The tech at my host seem to think it is a problem with the forum software.
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

Oyabun1 wrote:The error is probably related to a spoiler BBcode, Did you have a MOD that added that?
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
PCTalk

Post by PCTalk »

I had AutoMod installed and Advanced BBCode3 as well. When I reinstalled those two Mods, a lot of problems seemed to clear up. I know I uninstalled all Mods before trying to update. I thought AutoMod was supposed to take care of removing everything?
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

According to the error there are still remnants of some kind of BBCode MOD installed.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
PCTalk

Post by PCTalk »

Noxwizard wrote:According to the error there are still remnants of some kind of BBCode MOD installed.
Thanks for that clue about a problem with BBCode. I reinstalled the AutoMod tool and a BBCode mod that had been installed and things are starting to look better now. I have the forum blocked off until the Admins can have a chance to verify that it is in fact working. Once we are sure, I think I will just turn off registration and keep it as an archive for reference from a new forum.

I just cannot seem to remove the Mods and have the forum work. :(

Since I've gotten such excellent help here, I will eventually take a chance on trying to uninstall the Mods once again. First I am going to take a little break from the absolute terror of thinking I had lost so much hard work.

Should I continue posting here or start a new topic? If I should start a new topic, I will mark this one resolved.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

PCTalk wrote:I thought AutoMod was supposed to take care of removing everything?
No, to correctly uninstall a MOD you need to do it in the reverse order to installing it. If the MOD has a install file to be run at the end on the install, as the Advanced BBCode3 does, then that needs to be run again at the start of the uninstall. AutoMOD only adds and removes file changes, not the changes to the database.
PCTalk wrote:Should I continue posting here or start a new topic? If I should start a new topic
If you have a new issue then you should start a new topic.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
PCTalk

Re: [Resolved] Conversion disaster from 3.0.12 to 3.1.2

Post by PCTalk »

Thanks. Topic marked resolved. When I have had a chance to gather my wits again, I will start a new topic about how to remove all the Mods.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”