Forum access on facebook

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
sakthidasan

Forum access on facebook

Post by sakthidasan » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:39 pm

Hi,

Can some body help me on this.

On my forum I have set my guest user to access the forum, however guest user is not allowed to read the topic contents. It will ask to register to read the topic contents.

Based on above user setting, I copied a link from forum and shared it on facebook. Content in the facebook for the link is not showing about the content, instead it shows forum login information page.

Can you guys please let me know how should I fix this?

Thanks
Sakthi

sadulsepp
Name: Toomas Sadulsepp

Re: Forum access on facebook

Post by sadulsepp » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:43 am

That is very logical result as Facebook itself and viewers of FB post are not registered users and can not see the content.
The solution is to open the topic to be readable for visitors as well.

sakthidasan

Post by sakthidasan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks sadulsepp. Is there is any way we can give like facebook crawler access under bot sections?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:24 pm

If you give the guests group permission to read the forums then links posted to Facebook should also be readable.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

sakthidasan

Post by sakthidasan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:31 pm

Thanks guys. I want my visitors to read my contents. Thats why I'm more intersted to set up this. While going through facebook I found the below information. Can you please let me know is this is possible in our forum?

2. Facebook Crawler access

The Facebook Crawler fetches content from your site and generates a preview for people on Facebook. When someone shares a URL on Facebook and Likes or Recommends a page on your site using a plugin, it activates the Facebook Crawler. If your content is publicly available, we should have no problem accessing it.

If your content requires someone to login or if you restrict access after some amount of free content has been consumed, you will need to enable access for the Facebook Crawler. This access is only used to generate previews, and Facebook will not publicly expose your private content.

There are two methods to give Facebook’s Crawler access to your content:

IP whitelisting, which is more secure, but requires upkeep
User agent whitelisting, which is less secure, but requires little to no upkeep)
IP whitelisting
Your engineers can allow the following IP addresses access to pages that would otherwise be inaccessible to the public.

31.13.24.0/21
31.13.64.0/18
66.220.144.0/20
69.63.176.0/20
69.171.224.0/19
74.119.76.0/22
103.4.96.0/22
173.252.64.0/18
204.15.20.0/22
2401:db00::/32
2620:0:1c00::/40
2a03:2880::/32
Please note that these IP ranges can and do change regularly, so you should periodically run the following command to receive an updated list

whois -h whois.radb.net -- '-i origin AS32934' | grep ^route
User agent whitelisting
Your engineers can allow the following user-agent access to pages that would otherwise be inaccessible to the public. We rarely update these user-agents, and users can spoof them. But since only a very small percentage of users know how to change their browser’s user-agent, the expected number of users who would exploit this is very low. Additionally, you also do not need to include all the URL's regular content to our crawler, just a valid HTML document with the appropriate meta tags.

Facebook’s crawler crawls with facebookexternalhit/<version_number>, where <version_number> is either 1.0 or 1.1, as of March 2013.

facebookexternalhit/1.0
facebookexternalhit/1.1
As of May 28th, 2014 you may also see a crawler with the following user agent string:

Facebot
The Facebot crawler may crawl your entire website instead of just a single page. Facebot will respect your robots.txt settings.

Crawler rate limiting
You can label pages and objects to change how long Facebook's crawler will wait to check them for new content. Use the og:ttl object property to limit crawler access if our crawler is being too aggressive.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:12 pm

Facebook Crawler access wrote:If your content is publicly available, we should have no problem accessing it.
Oyabun1 wrote:If you give the guests group permission to read the forums then links posted to Facebook should also be readable.
                      Support Request Template

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:02 pm

I am guessing you could add facebookexternalhit and Facebot as bots, and give them read access.

Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:07 pm

Giving the Guests group read access would also achieve this:
sakthidasan wrote:I want my visitors to read my contents.
                      Support Request Template

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”