I can't find the install folder

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
wvanfleet

I can't find the install folder

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:15 am

Instructions say to point my browser to the install folder. I don't know what that means. When I click on that message, I get "File not found (404 error)." I did download the 3.0.13-PL package to update from 3.0.12, and then I used FileZilla to upload into the PHPBB3 folder on GoDaddy, where the php.config file was, but now I don't see any install folder. I do not have great understanding about this, so I will need basic help. Thank you very much.

darcie
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: Darcie Griffin

Re: I can't find the install folder

Post by darcie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:06 am

Before uploading, did you unzip the package you'd previously downloaded?
phpBB on Facebook | Site Rules | Former Community Team leader

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:23 am

once you have unzipped the file you downloaded from here, you then follow the instructions. once you have done that you will see the folder named install right there with the rest of the folders. after you have run the install/database_update.php file successfully you can then delete that whole folder named install.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:36 am

I apologize, but it is hard for me to understand some of the metaphoric language that is used. After posting, I did get an idea of what went wrong, and I wanted to wait until I got help before I did something fatal. I will try to explain.

When I downloaded the file into my Mac, it appeared to me that all of the files in the folder that was downloaded were indeed there. Nothing looked zipped. I am assuming that they were unzipped for me. The filename was "phpBB3." So that I would be able to find what I was looking for easily, I copied that file and placed it in a new folder that I named "New Version."

Okay, now I used FileZilla and found the file on GoDaddy that was named phpBB3, and that had the config.php in it. Now what comes next is where I suspect I made a mistake. I then transferred that ""phpBB3" file, with all of its folders and files over into the file named phpBB3 that has the config.php in it. What I believe I should have done was to transfer each of the files in the php.BB3 folder on my computer, not the folder itself. I see that most or all of the files and folders in the folder on my computer were the same as the files in the folder on GoDaddy. If I were to do this, then I know that FileZilla would ask me whether I wished to overwrite the files and folders that were already there. (So, one question is whether that is so or not.) An interesting complication, however, is that although the name of the file that I was transferring to the folder on GoDaddy was "phpBB3," it apparently got renamed to "update_3." (I have never seen that happen before.) So after the transfer was complete, it appeared to me that the transfer had not occurred, because I didn't at that time realize that "update_3" was new in the folder on GoDaddy. I now see that that is the file, because of looking at the date and because when I look to see what is in the folder, the names of the files are the same as those already in the folder on GoDaddy.

I am assuming that when the instructions said to "unpack" the folder, what was meant was to transfer the contents of the folder to GoDaddy, rather than the folder itself. That now makes sense to me. No wonder when I clicked on the instruction "Now start the update process by pointing your browser to the install folder," it could not find the install folder. But I would also like to mention that I did not know what "pointing your browser to the install folder" meant. Was I to use FileZilla? I didn't think so. But how could I get to this place on GoDaddy with Safari?? When I clicked on that instruction, I did so only because it was a link, and I thought I might get some additional help as to what to do. What I now figure, though I still am not sure, is that clicking on that instruction was actually the way of "pointing my browser to the install folder." If that is not so, then I still don't know how to do this.

So I got thrown by "pointing your browser" and by "unpack," metaphoric terms that I had to try to translate into what to click on.

So, do I indeed transfer all of those folders and files from my computer to GoDaddy such that they are to overwrite the folders and files of the same names that are already there? And do I then just click on that instruction, which will indeed point my browser to the install folder and start things rolling?

I very much appreciate the help, and apologize for being in over my head.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:33 am

ok, time to start over. using your ftp, remove/delete everything that you did so far.

now, follow these instructions exactly and in order:

1. when you download this:
https://www.phpbb.com/files/release/phpBB-3.1.3.zip
It is a zip file. in order to use it, you have to unzip it onto your computer.
I don't believe that MACs do this automatically for you when you download a zip file but I could be wrong about that.

now, once it is unzipped, you will have one folder , not a file, a folder, named phpBB3

Inside that folder named phpBB3 are many other folders and files, one of those files is named config.php and it is blank. ( don't worry about it being blank, it will be filled in during the install process )

2. ok, now you have the phpBB3 folder on your computer,
using your ftp program, access your server root ( that is usually called public_html or www or htdocs on the server.

upload the complete folder named phpBB3 to that directory on your server. this is the same place that any and all website files would go on your server.

don't create a new folder to put it in or anything, just upload the folder named phpBB3

once it is done properly, you should be able to go to http://yourdomain.com/phpBB3 and you would see the install screen for the board.

3. now, you have to create a database for phpbb to use.
go to your hosting control panel, find the database area and create a new database. when you have done that you will have the database server name, the database name and the database password.
you will need that in the next step.

4. go to your board in your browser: http://yourdomain.com/phpBB3

you will see the install page. click the install button.
keep clicking buttons and filling in blanks until you get a message that says you are successful.

5. once you are at that point, you will need to go back to the ftp, find the phpBB3 folder, open it, and find the folder named "install" . then delete that folder named "install"

you are done, you have a brand new phpbb board.

oh, by the way, there is no metaphoric language used in any of the instructions.
there are some technical terms that you may not understand but it is not metaphoric.
robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed help. I have some questions. I would like to understand rather than just helplessly do things without understanding.

I have taken another look with FileZilla, and am drawing a somewhat different conclusion. I'm trying to find out where I went wrong, despite very carefully following the directions on the board. What I observe is the following:

On GoDaddy, I now have the following path to what I believe to be what I uploaded:

/public_html/phpBB3/update_3/php.BB3

So in my previous post, where I said that my phpBB3 had apparently been renamed to update_3, something that I had never seen happen, I believe I was mistaken. I think that when I transferred my phpBB3, I must have dragged over to the folder update_3, so it went into that folder. That is important, of course, because if I were to delete update_3, I would be deleting something maybe that was already there when I did my transfer. But on the other hand, the date of update_3 is yesterday's date, when I did all this, so it doesn't seem like update_3 has been there from before. So one of the questions I would have is whether to delete update_3. I am inclined to think that I should not, but I would really like to have you address this specific issue.

Regarding the zip issue, I believe I have noticed in the past that I have never had to unzip anything that was downloaded into my Mac. When I looked at the download, there was the phpBB3 folder with all of the files in it. Does that not seem to you to indicate that my Mac does the unzipping automatically?

I also would like to know whether the instructions you have given me are exactly what I should have done by following the directions given on the board, or whether this is some other set of procedures to be carried out "manually" (as they say). Again, I am trying to really understand what I am doing.

Another question I have has to do with your talking about creating a database. This worries me a lot. My understanding of the database is that it has all the data that has already been entered. There is much there. It sounds to me like doing what you are suggesting would result in a loss of all that data, all the posts, users, etc. Am I correct?

And I would also like to know whether my hunch is correct that clicking on that instruction that I mentioned in my previous post would accomplish "pointing my browser to the install folder." Can you help me to understand this? How otherwise would I point my browser to the install folder? We are not talking about using FileZilla, right?

Thank you so much for this help.

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:09 pm

I also note that there are other files in that update_3, dated in January. I am increasingly thinking that the only thing that I did wrong was to drag the new phpBB3 over into that folder rather than over into the area where there were just files. If that is so, I just need to delete that phpBB3 that is in update_3 and then repeat that step, but this time making sure that it goes into public_html and replaces the phpBB3 that is already there. Isn't that the simplest answer? Then I would just need to "point my browser to the install folder," after I find out how to do that. Is it by clicking on that instruction?

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:25 pm

What's the actual address of your board?

Does the board have any modifications installed on it?

You do not need to make a database. If you're updating you already have it made.

Pointing your browser at a folder means you would type in
www.yoursitename.com/yourforumfoldername/install
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Great! I'm understanding more and more now!

My biggest question now is: Is it true that I should use my FileZilla and replace the phpBB3 that is in the public_html folder with the one that is on my computer, i.e., overwrite all of those folders and files?

(I will also delete the phpBB3 that is currently under update_3, I am assuming.)

"What's the actual address of your board?"

http://humanianity.com/phpBB3/index.php is the link that I use.

"Does the board have any modifications installed on it?"

I assume so. Long ago I did some modifications and additions. The board has been inactive for a long time, but now has become active again. It seems that I remember that when I upgraded it, I had to add some things back in. Now I am worried that I will need to do that again. Will I be shown what needs to be added back in?

Also, I would still like to know whether clicking on that instruction to point my browser to the install folder actually does that for me. (Like I said, when I did so, I got "File not found" error, which makes sense since I had put it in the wrong place.)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:05 pm

wvanfleet wrote:My biggest question now is: Is it true that I should use my FileZilla and replace the phpBB3 that is in the public_html folder with the one that is on my computer, i.e., overwrite all of those folders and files?
That kind of depends on the modification question.

If you have no modifications installed, yes you can essentially upload all new files but you would NOT upload config.php as that file is extremely important. It 'connects' the files to the database. It's also not necessary to upload /files (which contains your attachments) and /images (in case you accidentally lose any ranks or avatars you might have).
wvanfleet wrote:I assume so. Long ago I did some modifications and additions. The board has been inactive for a long time, but now has become active again. It seems that I remember that when I upgraded it, I had to add some things back in. Now I am worried that I will need to do that again. Will I be shown what needs to be added back in?
You seem to have a /mods folder in the language/en section (I'm just typing in likely folder names, I don't have access to your server in case you were worried!) which suggests you've added autoMOD at some point.

If you have indeed added MODs then your update path is slightly different to the one above because you presumably don't want to lose those changes...... or are you not fussed?
wvanfleet wrote:Also, I would still like to know whether clicking on that instruction to point my browser to the install folder actually does that for me. (Like I said, when I did so, I got "File not found" error, which makes sense since I had put it in the wrong place.)
No. Indeed the 4040 error means the folder is not where you think it is and you've given it the wrong location.

As your address is http://humanianity.com/phpBB3
any path to an install folder would be
http://humanianity.com/phpBB3/install
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:27 pm

I apologize for the confusion caused by my post above. I missed the part where you said you were updating. I thought you were installing a new board.

If you are wanting to keep your MODs then the process is completely different and you use a different set of files from here.

so, since this is incorrect: /public_html/phpBB3/update_3/php.BB3

you need to remove the complete update_3 folder and all of its contents. using your ftp, just delete the folder named update_3, that will delete it and all its contents.

then, you start over with your update.

if you do not care about the MODs then you do a file replacement as I said and as kevin said. all except for the config.php file and those specific folders if you have avatars and/or attachments.

If you want to keep your MODs then you need to download the correct autoupdate zip file from here to get the correct update files.
in that folder there is documentation on how to use it as well as several places around here that explain the process of using the autoupdate.

essentially, what it does is compare the files that need to be updated and make the changes to them for you. it will then let you download the changed files in a zip file to your computer.

you then unzip that file and upload all the included files/folders back to the server using your ftp.
once that is done, you run the install/database_update.php file in your browser to update the database.

that path would be as kevin showed you above:
http://humanianity.com/phpBB3/install/d ... update.php

hope this helps clear up some of the misunderstanding.

luck,
robert

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:48 pm

Thank you. I'm getting more understanding.

That update_3 folder has other folders and files in it, dating to January. It therefore now has my uploaded phpBB3 folder and these other folders and files apparently from the past. I am worried about deleting the update_3 folder rather than just deleting the phpBB3 folder that I mistakenly put in there. Can you explain, or reassure me somehow, as to why I should delete the whole update_3 folder rather than just my erroneous addition to it (the phpBB3 folder)?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:54 pm

it really doesn't matter if you delete it at all. it has nothing to do with phpbb. there is no folder of that name that is a part of phpbb so, whether you leave it or delete it will not affect anything to do with your board.

now, having said that, since it is not needed for phpbb then it should not be in the main phpBB3 folder and all it is doing is taking up space on your server and confusing you.

I am all for trying to understand things before you do them but at some point you just have to do it. ;)

robert

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:03 pm

I have deleted the phpBB3 folder inside update_3, and I have changed the name of update_3 to update_3.old. This is just because I really still don't understand where update_3 came from, and therefore I don't know whether it is needed in some way. I realize that you have said that it is not needed, but I also know that people can make mistakes. If no problems arise, and so far they have not (the board seems to be functioning normally), I will indeed delete that folder also.

Now, what I understand is that I am following the instructions originally given me by the board for the automatic update. And I have downloaded the appropriate file to my Mac. And it is phpBB3. And my understanding is that I should now FileZilla that up to GoDaddy, replacing the phpBB3 file that is already there, so that it overwrites all those files. There is no evidence that the phpBB3 on my computer is zipped. I see all the files in it. Everything looks okay.

And as I understand it, I should not delete the Files folder, Images folder, or config.php file. These have been put there by the automatic update process I am following, and I have received no instruction to delete them.

According to the instructions, as I understand so far, once I have uploaded this phpBB3 from my Mac to take the place of the one that is already there on GoDaddy, my next task will be to direct my browser to the install folder, and I think that I am understanding how to do that. And I assume, but would like reassurance, that because I am following this automatic updating process, I will not have to do something more because of the MODs that I introduced long ago. The automatic update process is handling all of that. (Or the automatic update process will automatically tell me how to do it?) Am I right?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:36 pm

ok, what you are describing is not the autoupdate process. for that you have to download this set of files:
https://www.phpbb.com/files/release/php ... 13-PL1.zip

there are only two folders in that zip file.
upload them both to your existing phpBB3 folders. it will ask to overwrite the folder named "docs" , say yes.

then, you go to: http://humanianity.com/phpBB3/install/
you will then see the proper update stuff.

this process saves the MODs you may have installed before.

in the "docs" folder is a html page that you can open in your browser to read the instructions on how to do the update.

robert

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”