I can't find the install folder

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
wvanfleet

Re: I can't find the install folder

Post by wvanfleet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:24 am

Okay, I see. It explains it. I should have clicked on that before asking the question.

Well thank goodness that's over!

Again, thank you so much for the help.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:16 pm

wvanfleet wrote:Oh, I see "Send statistical information." But whom am I sending it to??? They are sending me the info.

I guess I can do that though. Just wish I knew what it meant and what I was doing...
no, it will just send some basic info to phpbb.com about your board. I assume the version number, maybe some info about what type of server it is installed on etc. it will not contain any personal information about you or your account etc.

do it or don't, it is your choice. the message will never show up again either way.

glad you finally got it all going for you.
by the way, did you run the database_update.php file yet?
if not, upload the folder named install again and do so.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:12 pm

I just now saw your message. I don't know or remember running the database_update.php file. Is there a way I can find out whether I have or not?

What happens if I don't do that? Is it necessary? Desirable for X reason?

If I do it, I think I understand your instructions. I would use FileZilla and upload just that install folder (which will temporarily block any users), and then "direct my browser to" or click on that file in the install folder. I would then receive instructions as to what to do next. Am I on track?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:18 pm

no, you would upload that folder back to the server using your ftp.
then, in your browser, not in ftp, the browser window just like you are looking at right now.

in the address bar of the browser, not ftp, put this:
http://humanianity.com/phpBB3/install/d ... update.php

it will then update the database automatically.
if you already did it, it will tell you no update is needed, if not, it will tell you what it is doing.

once it is done, it will tell you so and then you can use your ftp again to delete that folder named install.

then you will be done.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:22 pm

Okay, great!! I plan to do that when I have some time. Can you tell me what it means? What is being updated about the database? What happens if I don't do it? Thanks!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:34 pm

if you have not updated the database then you will be trying to run new files on an old database and some or many things may not work properly if at all.

it is part of the update. everytime that you update phpbb you have to run the database update file.

robert

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:49 am

Okay, I did it. Turns out that it had already been done. But I learned something. And I learned that the Admin Log would have shown me that I had done it. No harm done, and as I said, I learned a lot from the whole experience.

Is there any benefit to upgrading to 3.1.3? If so, is the process about the same (how scary is it)? Is it even feasible? Would I lose database data? Would the basic organization be lost? What are the pros and cons?

Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:46 am

You could find a lot of answers yourself just by spending a few seconds searching.

3.1 New Features

Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.1
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”