I can't find the install folder

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
wvanfleet

Re: I can't find the install folder

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:12 pm

How did I not do the autoupdate process? I was directed to here, and this is what I downloaded:

https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/3.0/

Where did I go wrong?

I got there from here:

http://humanianity.com/phpBB3/adm/index ... ccb3b&i=27

I don't understand why I should not follow the instructions on the board. But I want to do the right thing, and what you are suggesting seems simple. Still, why am I not doing the right thing by following the instructions on the board? Or have I made a mistake (beyond uploading to the wrong place)?

I do note, however, that the contents of what they had me download and the contents of what you have had me download are not the same. So again, where have I gone wrong? Thanks for bearing with me.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:19 pm

the instructions in the admin panel only point you to the update page. you then have to choose which method you want to use.

what you posted above is the set of files that you use to completly replace all of the old files with new ones. that method will remove all your MODs. the autoupdate method is as I described in my last post above.
it merges the changes with the existing files and then you download those files and upload them back. it does not do it for you.

what you did wrong was you downloaded the wrong set of files from the update page. do exactly as I posted above viewtopic.php?p=14019671#p14019671 and you will be fine.

robrt
I am going to be out of town and off line for a week . see ya when I get back.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Great, Robert. That sounds very clear.

I would like very much, however, to see where I made the mistake in following the directions on the board. So I went to the proper site, but then, while there, downloaded the wrong file, if I am understanding properly. So the file that you are having me download is the proper one. Is that file downloadable from the website that I was directed to by the instructions on the board? I would really like to see what I should have done instead of what I did. That will help me so much to become more knowledgeable for the future. My dialogue here has been helping me in that regard.

Bill

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:11 pm

I went back and downloaded again what I thought I had downloaded the first time, and it has the two folders that are in what you have had me download. So I must indeed have done something wrong there, although it seems like I did the same thing. At any rate, it appears to me that I am now following the directions on the board and also your directions, that are the same, so I feel reassured. And I am very grateful for the help.

Bill

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:14 pm

So now these two folders are to be uploaded into the phpBB3 folder, not placed in the root containing the phpBB3 folder, is that correct?

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:27 pm

In looking at what I downloaded the first time, yes, it was different. It was the whole phpBB3 file. So I do see that I must have downloaded the wrong file. But I am back on track. Thank goodness I made that second mistake of uploading it into that update_3 folder! That's pretty bad! Two mistakes, the second saving me from the first.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:50 pm

wvanfleet wrote:So now these two folders are to be uploaded into the phpBB3 folder, not placed in the root containing the phpBB3 folder, is that correct?
correct. the docs folder will replace the one that is there and the install folder will be the one that you will access in your browser to do the update with.

robert

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:09 pm

Okay, thanks. I think I completely understand (except for how I made those errors), so I will go ahead with the plan as you state. (I'll have to do it later, when time permits.)

Again, thanks so much!

Bill

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:25 am

Help! Please!

I seem to be in a closed loop. I did as recommended and downloaded the files, using zip. As usual, they were apparently "unpacked" (I assume unzipped) in my download folder. I chose "Download modified files archive (recommended)," but now I'm back to being offered that same choice again. Do I now do "FTP upload"? Should I have done that to begin with? What "FTP account details" will I need? Does "FTP" refer to my FileZilla?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:25 am

you got me confused now.

when you click on the download link for the update zip file, you should see a window popup on your computer asking you if you want to download it. you may not get that, it may simply download it to your download folder.

once it is in the download folder it should be a file named blahblah.zip notice the .zip extension.

now, if you double click on that zip file it will unzip it to somewhere on your computer. probably in the same folder the zip file is in.

then, you will have two folders, one named docs and one named install.
'
now, using your ftp program ( filezilla ) you connect to your hosting account server.
If you do not know how to setup your ftp program then you need to ask your host what the ftp connection details are.

once you have that and you are connected to the ftp of your server, you will see your computer files in the left window of the ftp program and the server files in the right window of the ftp program.

make sure that the left side is showing the download folder where you can see the new docs and install folders. make sure that the right side is showing the folder under your public_html folder that is named phpBB3.

now, on the right side, double click on the folder named phpBB3
you should now see all of the files /folders that are inside it.
one of which is a folder named docs.

now, move /transfer/upload the two folders ( docs and install ) from the left side to the right side.

it will probably ask you if you want to overwrite the docs folder. say yes.

now, when that is finished you should have a new folder on the right side named install.

now you are read to do the update.

now, go back to your browser to your site/ go to: yourdomain.com/phpBB3/install/

then follow the instructions on the screen to update your board.

robert

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:50 am

Oh, I think you didn't understand that I have already uploaded those two files. I'm further along than that. I have already done all that you have described. What I am having trouble with is following the instructions that you are referring to.

I downloaded as instructed. The download was not a zipped folder/file, but instead a collection of folders/files: "adm, includes, language, styles, .htaccess, search.php, and viewtopic.php." My questions in my previous post have to do with the instructions on that page. Please reread it and see if I have made myself clear. The page I am looking at now is

http://humanianity.com/phpBB3/install/i ... file_check

And I have done that "Download modified files archive (recommended)." My questions in my previous post are whether I should now choose that other option (not recommended), namely "FTP upload." Surely I would not do the same thing over again. And there are no other options. But this looks like exactly the same screen that I was presented with that had me "Download modified files archive (recommended)," leaving me with those folders and files in my Downloads folder.

So what do I do now??

update_3-2 is the folder in my downloads folder containing those folders and files listed above.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:59 am

ok, that page gives you two options. one is the ftp method to try to let your server do the actual updating. that is almost never going to work, therefore, forget that option.

the second option is to download the changed files to your computer.

once again, it will be a zip file. ( what your computer does with those zip files is a mystery to me )

once you have those files on your computer. you then need to access the ftp program again like you did before.

now, upload all of those files/folders that you just downloaded back to the server to the folder named phpBB3

it will need to overwrite the existing ones with the newly changed ones.

let that happen.

once all those files are finished uploading.
you go back to the admin panel and let it run the file check again.
if it says there are any files that need changing do the whole process again.
download and then upload back
keep doing that until the page in the admin panel tells you that the files are completely updated.

once you have that, in your browser, go to yourdomain.com/phpBB3/install/database_update.php
once that file is finished, go back to the ftp and delete the folder named "install".

you are done.

robert

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:10 am

Wow! I did it once, and checked the files, and it says:

Update was successful

All files are up to date with the latest phpBB version. You should now login to your board and check if everything is working fine. Do not forget to delete, rename or move your install directory! Please send us updated information about your server and board configurations from the Send statistics module in your ACP.

I have no idea what that last sentence means. But I'm going to check to see if the board works. I will rename the install folder first.

Yes, it is working!!

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:14 am

So how do I
"Please send us updated information about your server and board configurations from the Send statistics module in your ACP."?

wvanfleet

Post by wvanfleet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:22 am

Oh, I see "Send statistical information." But whom am I sending it to??? They are sending me the info.

I guess I can do that though. Just wish I knew what it meant and what I was doing...

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”