How to make my phpbb message board mobile-friendly???

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
traintracks

How to make my phpbb message board mobile-friendly???

Post by traintracks » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:05 am

I am in the process of making my website mobile-friendly for the upcoming Google changes. I'm just doing it quickly with GoMobi. However, I'm not sure what to do about my phpbb message board! Is there a relatively easy way to make a phpbb message board mobile-friendly? I'm running 3.0.12. I use the default subsilver theme and don't have many customizations. Thank you!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: How to make my phpbb message board mobile-friendly???

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:15 am

there are a couple of mobile styles for 3.0 that you could install. however, the best way would be to upgrade to the newest version of 3.1.3 which is responsive by default. it only ships with prosilver but there are several styles available for it. if they are based on prosilver then they will usually be responsive as well.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.
Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

New phpbb 3.0 support site

traintracks

Post by traintracks » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:38 am

YES! That is great news! Please check your PM's Mr. Burgertushie for a note I sent you. Thanks!

ashwyn

Post by ashwyn » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:04 am

Why don't you try Tapatalk ? I just did that last week as it has been a breeze and well liked by the members now.

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:24 am

Bare in mind 3.1 is free for all but Tapatalk isn't, you have to buy the app.
"The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski

ashwyn

Post by ashwyn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:15 am

Tapatalk has a free version which is what I am using. They used to have a "Pro" version which had more color themes, early access to new features as they are announced, etc. Nothing significant. I don't see the Pro version anymore on App store for iOS ... I have many members on Android who have downloaded the free version as well.

Works perfect. Cheers !

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:21 am

not a user of the devices but I don't see why you need tapatalk when you can install a mobile style and get the same thing.

robert
I am available for custom work on a donation basis. Please send me a PM with your needs.
Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

New phpbb 3.0 support site

ashwyn

Post by ashwyn » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:24 am

I think the only benefit is if you are in various forum boards. Eg. I am in a few and all of them have Tapatalk enabled so when I use Tapatalk, I see all the forums at one place.

Having said that, I would try the mobile style as well.

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:59 am

ashwyn wrote:Why don't you try Tapatalk ? I just did that last week as it has been a breeze and well liked by the members now.
Just because you support Tapatalk doesn't mean you won't escape from the Google mobile friendly punishment. The web site itself needs to be mobile friendly by April 21 or you risk being demoted in the search rankings.

Tapatalk is for users, not for search engines, bringing Tapatalk into this discussion is just muddying the waters, it's irrelevant.

My advice is to upgrade to 3.1.3 ASAP, that's what I'm doing to prepare for the Google mobile update.

Swanny

Post by Swanny » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:01 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:not a user of the devices but I don't see why you need tapatalk when you can install a mobile style and get the same thing.

robert
Tapatalk is actually a little nicer to use from a mobile device compared to the default phpBB responsive design. TT is better suited for tapping on links, phpBB's links are too close together on mobile. TT is good especially if you browse multiple forums daily, as you can just tap to switch between them and see only unread posts.

traintracks

Post by traintracks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:31 am

Well, someone (who knows phpbb better than I do) helped to upgrade my message board to the latest version, and after working out a few minor problems, it looks great on my iPhone! I assume it also looks great on other mobile devices. Hopefully this will make Google happy, because Webmaster Tools reports that there are over 12k pages on my message board that don't meet their mobile usability requirements (it's a large board which has been around for over 10 years).

All bow to the Google Gods. :roll:

Anyway, I'm glad that the people who work on phpbb saw this coming and rolled out this version.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”