Change from e-mail notification to PM notification

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
#ESY

Change from e-mail notification to PM notification

Post by #ESY »

My forum is currently running 3.0.13-PL1 version and I was wondering if I can change the e-mail notification to a PM one.
For example, when disapproving a topic, I have the option to notify the poster via e-mail, but I want to notify him via PM. Can I change that ?
Thanks. :)
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Change from e-mail notification to PM notification

Post by Brf »

No. There are no PM notifications.
The purpose of a notification is to tell the user they need to visit the board. If you used PMs for notifications, that would defeat the purpose, since they would need to be visiting the board already to see it.
#ESY

Post by #ESY »

For example, when I use the WARN button, users get a PM notification. Can't I somehow change the code to do the same for disapproving topics ?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

#ESY wrote:when I use the WARN button, users get a PM notification
That's bound to having the checkbox ticked and PMs are allowed in general and the targetted user is able to read PMs at all. It's the only case where a PM is sent instead of a notification (and I don't know why).
#ESY wrote:the e-mail notification
Notifications are not bound to be e-mails only - you can also use XMPP (speak: Jabber) for notifications. However, nobody seems to understand/do this.
#ESY wrote:change the e-mail notification to a PM one
It is possible, but keep in mind that PM inboxes have a limit and each user's configuration can differ, so either new or old PMs vanish. Also, from my experiences most members don't even recognize new PMs. You're better off trying 3.1 with its on-board notifications (and the options to then turn off sending notification e-mails).
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
#ESY

Post by #ESY »

AmigoJack wrote:
#ESY wrote:when I use the WARN button, users get a PM notification
That's bound to having the checkbox ticked and PMs are allowed in general and the targetted user is able to read PMs at all. It's the only case where a PM is sent instead of a notification (and I don't know why).
#ESY wrote:the e-mail notification
Notifications are not bound to be e-mails only - you can also use XMPP (speak: Jabber) for notifications. However, nobody seems to understand/do this.
#ESY wrote:change the e-mail notification to a PM one
It is possible, but keep in mind that PM inboxes have a limit and each user's configuration can differ, so either new or old PMs vanish. Also, from my experiences most members don't even recognize new PMs. You're better off trying 3.1 with its on-board notifications (and the options to then turn off sending notification e-mails).
That actually might be the only case where a PM is sent instead of a notification and I want to use that part of code to make all notification like that. Can I do that ? That's mainly what I was asking in the first post. Can I change the notification code to look like the WARN one and use PM instead of e-mail ? I'm not interested in stuff like Jabber/AIM etc and for some reasons I won't install 3.1 just yet.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Post by Oyabun1 »

If you are asking how to change the code to achieve your aim, that is outside the scope of support here.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
#ESY

Post by #ESY »

Is there another section where I could ask that ? "Styles Support & Discussion" ?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

[3.0.x] MOD Requests
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

However, no new 3.0.x Mods will be validated.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
#ESY

Post by #ESY »

Ok, thank you very much !

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”