Page loading/connection issues.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Mike Bracchi

Page loading/connection issues.

Post by Mike Bracchi »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.11
What is your board's URL? http://tierce-de-picardie.co.uk
Who do you host your board with? Hostgator
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Please select your answer
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver subsilver2
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? mySQL 5
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? None
Please describe your problem. Early in July, I and other users of my forum started experiencing intermittent connection/loading problems ... it can take up to 40 seconds to load a page - slow loading comes without warning and can return to normal within the same session just as quick as it appears. I have taken up the issue with my host and they insist that it is not a server issue. I have run tests using various test sites at their suggestion but I am not really able to understand or act on the results - My host has suggested things like 'optimize the scripts' reduce the amount of 'table rows' - however, reading through your forums suggests that a board with 300 members with an average 20 posts a day shouldn't require such actions - despite this I did 'check, repair and optimize' the database in phpMyAdmin ... result, no difference - the problem still exists.
Generated by SRT Generator

I would be very grateful for any help and advice on trying to eliminate this problem .... many thanks.
Oyabun1
Former Team Member
Name: Bill

Re: Page loading/connection issues.

Post by Oyabun1 »

It is illogical that the number of table rows would vary the page load speed so markedly within the same session because they don't change much.

If the access times are varying with no changes to your board that is almost always a server side issue.

Such problems are not uncommon on shared servers where the host has too many accounts assigned to the server. At certain times the load from all accounts overloads the total server resources. About all you can do is see if the host will move you to a quieter server or else look for a better host.
                      Support Request Template
3.0.x: Knowledge Base Styles Support MOD Requests
3.1.x: Knowledge BaseStyles SupportExtension Requests
Mike Bracchi

Post by Mike Bracchi »

Thank you for your response Oyabun1 :)

I have been arguing this with the host since July ... ironically, I renewed a 3 year contract with them on the 2nd July and within a day or so I was experiencing this problem ... the previous 3 year period went by without a single hitch :?

Would it be any help if I attached the test results so an expert can take a look to see if there is anything obvious causing the site to behave in this way?

Regards ...
Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

Not really, because we only offer support for phpBB related issues, not for server configuration.
                      Support Request Template
kittrad

Post by kittrad »

Hi buddy, try disabling all plugins. See if the speed improves. Then enable those one by one until you find the culprit.
Ubuntu 14.04.1 | 500GB | 8GB RAM Image
Oyabun1
Former Team Member

Post by Oyabun1 »

kittrad wrote:Hi buddy, try disabling all plugins. See if the speed improves. Then enable those one by one until you find the culprit.
phpBB doesn't have "plugins" and the OP already stated
Mike Bracchi wrote: Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
                      Support Request Template

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”