Who's online page dysfunction

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Alphacarbon

Re: Who's online page dysfunction

Post by Alphacarbon »

I parked a user on a thread page for a few minutes, and it still appeared as viewing "Index".

If it were an either or, I'd think it's something in the code that is shown to users but not to bots. But the fact that once in a while I'd a see a user as viewing the forum they're actually on, has been baffled.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Provide us/me with an account so at least we/I can exclude the culprit of JS activity.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Alphacarbon wrote:I parked a user on a thread page for a few minutes.
Viewing a page is not going to update the session. You would need to be clicking a link.
Alphacarbon

Post by Alphacarbon »

AmigoJack wrote:Provide us/me with an account so at least we/I can exclude the culprit of JS activity.
Ok I'll make one soon and provide you with the details.
Alphacarbon

Post by Alphacarbon »

Hello,

Here's a test login you can use:

Admin login removed, added to user notes

Hope you catch what's causing it.
Last edited by Alphacarbon on Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

nevermind
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
Alphacarbon

Post by Alphacarbon »

RMcGirr83 wrote:nevermind
Hmmmm OK.

Was anyone able to discern the problem?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

No. The account you provided was censored from your post, since it had adminstrative permissions. Create an account without administrative and moderator permissions.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Alphacarbon

Post by Alphacarbon »

Well isn't that amusing... :? :shock: :roll:

There were several test accounts floating around, and the one I got lazy and picked was apparently being used to test something privilege specific at some point. Serious thanks to the benevolent forces that be for swooping in and securing the matter.

That said, here's a freshly created user account (lesson learned):

TestDummy
phpbb123

Thank you once again.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Okay, there is no JS that makes users request the index. I browsed thru some forums and were displayed accordingly, both on the bottom in each forum, and on the viewonline page. So why are so many users displayed on the index?
  1. You have many non-board pages, such as "Chat", "Blog", "Album", "Networks" - all those are unknown to the board and its viewonline page, hence it displays those as "Index" as well. I don't know to what extent each modification should also modify the viewonline page, so I cannot say if this is faulty behaviour or an expected one. I tend to say the latter one.
  2. Have you also listed guests on viewonline? There are many of them, and in turn many of them are displayed being in one of your forums or reading a topic in one forum. Right now I see 102 guests, and just 3 members and just 3 bots. Thinking of a bug while only issuing this tiny fraction of users is not the best approach.
  3. Guests are (or seem to be) able to access everything as well - why should I log in with my account when I'm able to read all parts of your board? Yes, I can't reply to anything, but you'd be surprised how many people are readers only without ever wanting to contribute anything.
All I can do is inspecting your /viewonline.php and /includes/session.php files (attach them). I could even make them also recognize your non-board pages (but that'd be a "quick hack" that hardcoded language in i.e. English.
Alphacarbon

Post by Alphacarbon »

Thanks AJ for offering to take a look. I am attaching the files here.

It's fine if the Chat, Blog, etc pages just appear as Index. No need to hardcode them.
I'm just curious why users who are viewing forums aren't appearing as such.
Attachments
session.php
(78.13 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
viewonline.php
(13.59 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

/viewonline.php is identical to a 3.0.14 version - this also means none of your additional pages are recognized as such and chat, blog, album... all display as "on index". /includes/session.php is based on code older than 3.0.14 and modified as well both with comments (MOD start: Mobile/SEO style) and without. That makes it a mix of bugs being fixed by 3.0.14 and bugs being fixed by whoever distributed that file.

But everything seems to work as expected. I can only repeat: you have lots of guests (this time "In total there are 166 users online : 3 registered, 1 hidden and 162 guests") and they appear fine on reading a topic or browsing a forum.
Alphacarbon

Post by Alphacarbon »

Alright thanks AJ

I'm just going to let this one go. As someone suggested it's not that important of a feature. Hopefully an upgrade will bring the page back to how it used to function (before whatever was done to break it)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”