Hit by spam

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
edgar davids

Hit by spam

Post by edgar davids »

What's the current best method for beating the spammers? A simple Q&A text answer seems very weak? After a few years of stability, I've logged into my board after a few months absence to find masses of spam users on my board. Also, I can't quite remember the best way to delete these.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Hit by spam

Post by KevC »

Q&A is very strong, if you choose the right kind of question.

Anything you could get the answer for on a search engine is useless. You have to think a little more laterally with questions specific about your board or 2 part questions or ask them to enter a code that is somewhere else on the site, such as in a 'welcome' topic.

See How to clean up a board hit by spam for some suggestions.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Welcome to the internet and computers. Your question "Grass is to lawn as __________ is to forest" is most likely automatically copied and asked at numerous websites which happily give the answer, and the answers are perfect candicates for registration attempts. Did you really think this needs any human interaction? I could write a bot doing this myself. I should do it, just to teach board owners how easily their question can be solved when they don't use something that can't be answered anywhere else than on the board's website itself.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

That question was given as an example question in the anti-spam topic - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2122696 Obviously, it was not intended for general use, as the questions are useless if they become too popular. However, such logic questions can be pretty bot proof if chosen wisely.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”