Forum is consuming too much Memory

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
missmuffet

Forum is consuming too much Memory

Post by missmuffet »

Certain pages on my site, primarily threads, are failing to load. When looking at my control panel for my host I've noticed that I'm allowed 150mb of memory usage, while my forum is using 380mb. My 5 year old forum has approximately 2000 members, but rarely are there more than 30 on the forum at any time - so I'm definitely using a small amount of bandwidth. My database is 250mb and overall size of forum with attachments is 885mb. We have 5000 topics/62,000 posts. Note that I don't have any mods other than an image resizer.

My question is what exactly is causing the excessive memory usage? Would pruning unnecessary/unused accounts, old posts, attachments help? Is 380mb really too much for a forum my size? I tried searching for info, but haven't found any info relevant to my issue. I just want to get the forum running again without having to pay for an upgrade to a "dedicated" account.

Edit: Attempting to poke around in the admin panel of the forum to check settings and prune users, memory spiked to about 460mb. I can't really even use the forum at all right now without 502 errors.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Forum is consuming too much Memory

Post by david63 »

There are many reasons why your board is using what you consider "too much memory" and without a link to your board it will be impossible to suggest any reasons.

One question I would ask is - are you on a free host? Many free hosts have very low limits of server resources and if you are on a free host then it may be time to either upgrade your hosting package or look for a new host.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

missmuffet

Post by missmuffet »

I'm on a paid host and it's about $20 per month for my 3 sites together. I only have the one forum. They have confirmed that I'm using too much memory for my plan, which is allowed 150mb. I seem to be using at least double that. My forum is only viewable by members, which can't even load right now to register.

I'm just curious as to what I should be looking at within the forum that generally utilizes a lot of memory and how to optimize it to fix this problem. Do I need to purge and prune or should I just pay more for an upgraded account?

david63

Post by david63 »

150mb is ridiculously low to run anything these days (other than a static page). My forum peaks at about 1gb with an average memory usage of just under 800mb.

For $20 a month you can do a lot better than that.
David
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.

JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

You might want to take a look over at WebhostingTalk to find hosting providers within the same price range that provide more satisfactory allowed memory usages than you have right now. :)
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

The amount of memory your board is using really has nothing at all to do with your bandwidth, number of users, or number of posts. The memory is being used to render each individual page. We have often seen high-memory usage for large posts in non-ascii character-sets, such as Cyrillic text and such.

Slackervaara

Post by Slackervaara »

Note that PHP 7 will be double faster and also consume less memory. However, I don't know, if phpBB 3.0 is PHP 7 compliant. My host have PHP 7 as a choice and also have 500 MB in memory for about 2 USD a month. For 5 USD a month you get 1000 MB in memory.

david63

Post by david63 »

Slackervaara wrote:I don't know, if phpBB 3.0 is PHP 7 compliant
It is not - and neither is phpBB 3.1

For PHP7 compatibility you will need phpBB 3.2 (when it is released)
David

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”