multi language forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Flegy33
Name: Damir Flekac

multi language forum

Post by Flegy33 »

Hello,

last few days trying to get topics and posts to show other languages as example Croatian čćžđš or arabic "تقديم تقرير عن اي خطا داخل اللعبه" but only what see after post is ??????? , so what I done so far is change text type of column into ntext but I think need also add N at inserting query but not sure what need to edit in php file.

p.s: when is inside DB other language it show fine on forum just problem is inserting on new topic / reply

thanks in advance
Flegy33

Re: multi language forum

Post by Flegy33 »

any help is welcome.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Nobody knows which DBMS you're using. MySQL supports out of the box UTF-8, and phpBB does the same (as you can see with your own post: characters are perfectly stored). Changing the database table column type is the wrong approach.

But since your registration process doesn't allow non-ASCII characters for a username I don't understand why you are wanting them anywhere else then:
20160719 js crap.png
As per http://www.maxko-forum.info/viewtopic.p ... 26#p217326 phpBB is not the problem, since the preview still displays characters as expected. You need to tell us your DBMS (and which content the variable $dbms has in your /config.php).
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Flegy33

Post by Flegy33 »

thanks for try help. Yes we dosent allow ASCII characters on names because forum and our game use same accounts, but with ASCII characters thay can cheat inside game. We want only on topics and posts to work ASCII as you see when you make topic it show only ????? but when insert manual ASCII character in database it load fine and show in topic fine.

Forum is hosted on CentOS 6.7 , using ODBC conect windows 2012 r2 server where is MMSQL database.

Have any suggestion where can be problem?
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Flegy33 wrote:ODBC [...] MMSQL
So that means that
AmigoJack wrote:(and which content the variable $dbms has in your /config.php)
should be:

Code: Select all

$dbms = 'mssql_odbc';
right?

I have no experience with MSSQL thru ODBC and I'm also unable to test it. As per i.e. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1322421/ you need to jump thru a couple of hoops to your Unicode thru ODBC, so using MSSQL directly rather than thru ODBC sounds more promising (as /includes/db/mssql.php already does this:

Code: Select all

@ini_set('mssql.charset', 'UTF-8');
  • The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
Flegy33

Post by Flegy33 »

tryed both but its same

#$dbms = 'mssql_odbc';
$dbms = 'mssql';

when you tryed it was direct mssql.
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

Be aware that config.php data is cached in phpBB. So in order for those changes to take effect, you would need to delete all files from the cache directory on your server except for .htaccess and index.htm. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Flegy33

Post by Flegy33 »

Yes I cleared catche on try, also played with ODBC driver but nothing didnt helped. Maybe need add N beffore inserting new topic/post?
Flegy33

Post by Flegy33 »

any more idea what I can try to solved problem?
Flegy33

Post by Flegy33 »

bump

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”