Won't send out any emails on new install

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
TDH

Won't send out any emails on new install

Post by TDH »

Hello,

I'm brand new to forum software and just installed phpBB. I can't get it to send any emails. I created a user that required admin authorization but didn't receive any admin email. I tried mass mailing but didn't receive anything either.

I also installed Simple Machines Forum and am not receiving emails from that either.

I contacted my host (hostgator) but they said everything looked fine on their end.
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: Won't send out any emails on new install

Post by JimA »

Hi, welcome to phpBB.com!

phpBB has set the e-mailing settings the to default phpBB mail() function by default. Those use the default settings that your host has set for them. If those don't work, you would need to add the SMTP settings that your host should supply. The fact that other applications have trouble does signal that this is not a problem but phpBB but rather with the server configuration.

I would recommend to re-contact your host and ask for the SMTP set-up details that would be required. If necessary ask for level two support so you get someone that knows what they're talking about. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Won't send out any emails on new install

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

also, assuming that you have installed 3.1. you have to set your notification preferences in your personal profile as well as the board notification settins from the admin panel.

you posted in the 3.0 forums but you should not be installing that since it has reached end of life.

if you installed via your hostgator control panel then you need to start over and download the proper files from here and install them properly.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”