Update from 3.0.10

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
readadam

Update from 3.0.10

Post by readadam »

Hi,

I have 3.0.10 and I really need to update it because the forum is seriously buggy now. No one can register or post comments (although I can as admin for some reason).

Anyway I followed instructions on a previous forum https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... of-phpbb3/ and decompressed the changed files folder (because I added a menu and a couple of other small changes to the template).

Problem is, my version is not in the list of files in that folder. What do I do?

I would be happy to do an automatic update if that is easier - the template changes were very basic and nothing untoward. My forum is here: http://www.christophermccandless.info/f ... 2691b98f0b

Appreciate any help or tips, before I make the wrong decision myself.

Cheers, Adam
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Re: Update from 3.0.10

Post by canonknipser »

Do you want to update to the latest 3.0.x? Take a look here: https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... to_3.0.14/
Afterwards you maybe want to upgrade to 3.1? https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/3.1/3.1.9/
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
readadam

Post by readadam »

Thanks for the message.
I would love to update to the latest version, but not sure how because mine is very old now. Which one would I download?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You would be as well upgrading to the latest version of the 3.1 line which is 3.1.9 and can be downloaded here, the upgrade instructions are here.

Bear in mind that upgrading to 3.1.9 you will loose all your existing mods and styles.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
readadam

Post by readadam »

Thanks for your email.
The last time I did a full install (as per the instructions you mentioned) I lost all posts, so I am little worried about doing that again. If I choose this option - will it do the same? (It is ok to lose the MODs)

I have backed up my database onto my PC.
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

You're not doing a full install. The instructions also don't say that. :)

What you're doing is replacing all the cores files (except for the config.php file and the images, files, and store directories) with the new ones. By keeping your current config.php file, the board will stay connected to your current database, which means that all your users, forums, posts, etc. will stay unharmed. If you follow the instructions that Mick linked to closely, this should be a smooth transition.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
readadam

Post by readadam »

Ok thanks. Will give it a go.
readadam

Post by readadam »

Thanks for your help guys. I did the update and it worked out.
A couple of things to note:

1. Would be easier to be clear to noobs like me that you should not "overwrite the sub directories and files" that are not to be updated
2. copy and paste the install update url to the forum to perform the update.

This was not so clear for a non technical guy like me.

But I am happy to say it worked :)

Thanks.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the instructions clearly list certain folders that you are not to overwrite. It says to leave them alone in your existing installation and to remove them from the new set of files. even if you don't remove them from the new set of files uploading them basically just merges the new folders with the old ones keeping all the files that are in them etc.

anyway, glad you got it working. good work!

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”