Changes to board

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Selective

Changes to board

Post by Selective »

So I was gone from my website for a few days, and when I came back, all of my script that was custom written for my forum, was stripped from my forum, and all of my images, themes, and templates were deleted. Immediately I looked at the maintenance records, and I see that someone named 'Anonymous' with no IP Address had logged into my ACP and did a lot of damage all over my ACP in less than 60 seconds.

http://oi64.tinypic.com/296bu6f.jpg

I had all bots denied access to my forum, and my forum was private, but apparently now I need to restore my forum from a previous backup and then gut half my ACP.

Update:
My forum was not installed by my web host, I installed it myself, and I have always been the only Admin and Mod of my forum, with me being the only one that can access the ACP. I had no auto updates set for anything. My forum has been fine for the last 2 years with no updates. So YES, I am going to start pointing fingers, and especially when my maintenance records shows a user by the name of 'Anonymous' with no IP Address did all that stuff in less than 60 seconds. IT WAS PHPBB THAT DID IT!!!
Last edited by Selective on Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david63

Re: phpBB Hacked My Forum

Post by david63 »

From the image that you have posted your last action was to update your database from 3.0.12 to 3.1.9

The process of doing that means that you replace all your files thereby removing all your custom scripts and possibly some images - although they may still be there,

There is no way that phpBB does this, maybe you have a host installed version and they did the update - just a thought.

I would suggest that you establish the facts before you start throwing around spurious accusations.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

phpbb does not ever do such a thing and can't do it because they have no way to access your board.

this is most likely do to an auto update thing at your hosting account.

you probably installed your board from the hosting control panel "one click " installer and they usually have an auto updater.

I would be pissed if this happened to me as well, but that doesn't excuse making false accusations in public.

do some research and try to find out what happened.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

It is normal for certain administrative events to be triggered when someone views your board, and that is often the Anonymous user.

phpBB had nothing to do with your issues. If you care to repost, and fill out the Support Request Template we can deal with your issues.

I am removing the incorrect accusations from your topic and its title
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Pond Life

Post by Pond Life »

Selective wrote: IT WAS PHPBB THAT DID IT!!!
No, it was not, phpBB software does not auto update and by your own admission you are the only person with admin access. And shouting does not alter reality.
Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

by "installed it myself" do you mean you downloaded the files from here and then using ftp you uploaded them to your server, then created a database using phpmyadmin on your server and then ran the install process?

if not, then you did NOT install it yourself.

If what you really mean is that you clicked a couple of buttons in your hosting control panel and installed it, then that is a host install. those are the ones that have the autoupdate things we are talking about.

bottom line is that if your host did not update it and you did not update it, then somebody with admin access did.

there is not a single case so far of anyone hacking into phpbb3 without having a admin username password or ftp access and phpbb can not do what you suggest, it just is not possible.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
david63

Post by david63 »

Selective wrote:IT WAS PHPBB THAT DID IT!!!
Please provide the proof
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Changes to board

Post by stevemaury »

No one at phpBB has access to your board. As you said, only you (or your host) has access to your ACP. It is perfectly normal for events in the logs to be attributed to Anonymous, because some actions only occur when someone views the forum, which is often Anonymous.

You have failed to supply the requested Support Request Template, and you undid the edits I made to make your post not inaccurate.

Since you apparently would rather make ridiculous accusations instead of determining the cause of your issue, I am locking this topic.

If you undo an administrative edit again, your editing permission will be removed.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”