Cannot upload .mp3 files

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Zinger47

Cannot upload .mp3 files

Post by Zinger47 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi,

We are currently unable to attach/upload .mp3 files to the Forum. We keep getting a message saying that "the uploaded file is empty". I have retried uploading .mp3 files that have previously been successfully uploaded and are currently stored on the Forum. The error message I get is the same. The files play Ok on my computer. Uploading/attaching word document files are fine.

Please can you help?

Zinger47

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Cannot upload .mp3 files

Post by david63 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:30 pm

What has changed on your site and/or server since you were last able to upload them?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Zinger47

Post by Zinger47 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi,

Nothing! It is used frequently by around 30 members to post and reply to topics. Word document Attachments and .mp3 files have always loaded ok.

david63
Name: David Wood

Post by david63 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:07 pm

If nothing has changed then it should still work.

Things like this do not stop working for no apparent reason something, somewhere has been changed by somebody. It may be that your hosts have upgraded the server, or changed a setting - have you asked them what has changed recently?
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Zinger47

Post by Zinger47 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:16 pm

No I haven't - you are my first port of call. I will check with the host and get back to you if necessary.

Thank you

Zinger47

Post by Zinger47 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:21 am

Hi I have been in conversation with the host for several days and am not getting any constructive advice or solution. They are suggesting we upload files via a FTP which is something I know nothing about and other members will be the same. I am aware that we will have to upgrade our version of the Forum very soon (currently 3.0.8) and suspect this problem might be overcome by doing so? Can you please let me know how to arrange for this to be done via yourselves and also the cost in GBP.

Thank you.

Zinger47

Post by Zinger47 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:40 am

I have just wondered whether there is a limit for uploading this type of file? We probably have at least 200 .mp3 files.

Zinger47

Post by Zinger47 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:51 am

I have just received this reply from the host.

"have adjusted your php.ini file and increased the upload limit of your forum. You can try and see if that has helped with the uploading issue. If that did not work, you may want to contact your web developer and have them take a look at all of the coding for the forum and make adjustments as necessary."

I have tried to upload a .mp3 file but still getting the same message " the uploaded file is empty".

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:29 pm

1. Does this happen to every attempt? Even to an MP3 file you previously downloaded from your phpBBoard and then tried to attach it to another post?
  2. Are you really still on 3.0, or have you attempted to upgrade to 3.1 already without realizing that this is also considered as a recent change?
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Zinger47

Post by Zinger47 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:21 pm

Sorry for delay in replying, I've been away.

I have downloaded a .mp3 file from the Forum to my computer. When I try to upload it again to the same topic, I get an error message saying "could not upload attachment to ./files/ then a series of letters/numbers". I tried to upload it to another topic and got "the uploaded file is empty" message. I have tried to upload .mp 3 files which have previously been successfully uploaded to the Forum and are also stored on my computer and I get the message " the uploaded file is empty".

A few months ago (May/June) we did try to upgrade it ourselves but as we have no idea of how this forum was initially set up (as the person who did so is no longer with us) and have no instructions/information the upgrade wasn't completed. I am sure we didn't change anything and we abandoned the upgrade. The last .mp3 files uploaded successfully were around the middle of July after the attempt to upgrade.

Zinger 47

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:07 am

Please fill out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Zinger47

Post by Zinger47 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:59 am

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.0.8
What is your board's URL? http://paphoszinger.com/forum/index
Who do you host your board with? UK2.net
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Please select your answer
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What styles do you currently have installed? Prosilver Reds
What language(s) is your board currently using? British English
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? Test Account
What password can be used to view this issue? Admin2016
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? Attempted upgrade was aborted a few months around May/June. As far as we are aware no changes were made.
Please describe your problem. As previously stated, unable to upload .mp3 files. Error message "the uploaded file is empty". Have been able to upload .mp3 files since the attempt to upgrade (ie July).
Generated by SRT Generator

Zinger47

Post by Zinger47 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:43 am

The requested Support Request Template was uploaded on Sunday, 4th Sept. Please could somebody act on this as the situation is now becoming most urgent.

Thank you
Zinger 47

AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:23 pm

Zinger47 wrote: What is your board's URL? http://paphoszinger.com/forum/index
Boy, two mistakes in one step - looks like it should be http://paphoszinger[color=#F00]s[/color].com/forum/[s]index[/s], right?

As per http://paphoszingers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4705 I'm able to upload PNG and TXT, yet MP3s with a size of 3+ MiB brought the error message you said. phpBB does not handle UPLOAD_ERR_CANT_WRITE, but it can't be this, as I'm able to successfully upload something.

And as per http://paphoszingers.com/forum/viewtopi ... 060#p20060 I was able to upload MP3 very well, just having a smaller size.

This means there's a size limit. Attach your php.ini and search thru all your files for post_max_size and upload_max_filesize.
The worst thing about censorship is ███████████
Affin wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:51 am
The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly.
We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this.

Zinger47

Post by Zinger47 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:56 am

Hi,

Sorry my technical knowledge is ziltch and I don't understand some of your reply, eg Attach your php.ini and search thru all your files for post_max_size and upload_max_filesize

You seem to think that there is a size limit for .mp3 files; I have searched through one of our forums and the largest .mp3 file I can find is 13.31MiB! There are lots more .mp3 files bigger than the file you uploaded. The recent .mp3 that we can't upload is 5.34MB. (Don't know the difference between MiB and MB?). The last .mp3 file we successfully uploaded was 6.3MiB.

Zinger47

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”