Importing Smilies 3.0

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
FirstFriend

Importing Smilies 3.0

Post by FirstFriend »

From the reading I've been doing here, it seemed as though all I had to do was download a .zip file of smilies, change the extension to .pak and then upload them to the smilies folder. In my ACP, I can see that loaded did everything correct but all of them are broken.

Now, I am not great with jargon on this issue. So if you can somehow explain what I need to do in layman's terms, or point me to a very thorough tutorial specific to 3.0, I'd sure be in your debt.

Smilies in a dating forum are life. This is the last thing I need to do before I start advertising the site.

Thanks!!!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Importing Smilies 3.0

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

not sure where you got the idea about changing whatever extension to .pak

a .pak file is a text file that has all of the smilies in the pack listed with the ascii code for each one just like they show in your admin panel.

if you download a smilie pak zip file you have to unzip it and then upload the images and the .pak file to the smilies folder on your server.

this might help: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ilies-v3x/

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Note that if you're just starting a brand new site with 3.0.x that's not a good idea as support for it will end in December.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
FirstFriend

Post by FirstFriend »

The part I'm struggling with is making the pak itself. I thought I could just d/l some free smilies and then upload them here.

So I googled free smilies, d/l'd several .zip files containing a bunch of .ico files which I assume are the smilies, and then... well that's it.

I understand how to unzip the files and then up load the individual images to my server. It's the .pak part that I don't understand. I do not see a .pak file inside the .zip file. Am I supposed to create one somehow?

KevC, thanks for the info. Is upgrading to a 3.1 or higher relatively simple?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

upgrading is simple. you just remove the old files except for the config.php file and any attachments/avatars you have and upload all new files and run the database update file.

this will have no affect on how to upload new smilies. that remains the same process.

smilies are not ico files. those for usually for the little icon image that is at the first of your url in the browser address bar.

as I said, a smilie pak is a combination of smilie images ( usually gifs ) and a text file that describes each image and its relevant code.

this might be of interest:
http://www.tcatullo.com/smileypakgenerator/

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
FirstFriend

Post by FirstFriend »

I get it. I gave to d/l the smiley images then upload them to my server.

I also have to create a .pak file and d/l that to my server as well, and install it. I got this! lol

Thank you for the help!!!! That link is pak magic!
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

There is no need for a pak file. You can enter the fields for each smilie in the Manage Smilies page. The pak file is for a smilie designer who is sharing his smilies with another board owner -- to automate the process. If all you are doing as adding some smilies to your own board, it is just as easy to type in the values by hand.
FirstFriend

Post by FirstFriend »

I've got it now. Thank you for the help.

However, I have run into other issues.

First, when posting a reply, the smiley's show up to the right of the reply box. Well, I have so many smilies that the page gets extended to the point where you have to scroll way down to get to the submit button. How can I make the view more smilies link appear sooner, so that only a given amount of smilies are displayed?

Second, some of these smilie gif are bigger than others. I have resized many of them in my acp. This works on the post a reply page, but hitting submit the post the smilies revert to their original size in the post. Can this be altered?

Thanks again!
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

FirstFriend wrote:First, when posting a reply, the smiley's show up to the right of the reply box. Well, I have so many smilies that the page gets extended to the point where you have to scroll way down to get to the submit button. How can I make the view more smilies link appear sooner, so that only a given amount of smilies are displayed?
That's mentioned in the article in the first reply.
Go to the smilie management and untick 'display on the posting page' for the ones you want on a pop up.
FirstFriend wrote: Second, some of these smilie gif are bigger than others. I have resized many of them in my acp. This works on the post a reply page, but hitting submit the post the smilies revert to their original size in the post. Can this be altered?
Make the images physically smaller in a graphics application
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”