admin self-removed permissions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
civion

admin self-removed permissions

Post by civion »

Hello,

A board admin was going to promote me to admin status to help him out, however when he copied permissions over he copied mine (registered user) against his name and so he has locked himself out of the ACP

The board is approx 3 years old (?) and has a fair number of posts so re-installing the board isn't really an option.

There is still a user name admin listed in 'the team' - if the owner of the board access via this id and if so is there a default password ?

If not can he change his user id permissions in phpmyadmin and if so whats the proceedure ?

Many Thanks
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: admin self-removed permissions

Post by Brf »

How does one "copy permissions"?
civion

Post by civion »

All I know is he said he was going to copy his permissions to my user id in the ACP and ended up getting them the wrong way round.

I looked on 'the team' and he has definitely demoted himself down to a normal user
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

have him use phpmyadmin. find his username, set user type to 3

like brf said, I don't know how you "copy user permissions" from one person to another.
however, if he wants to make you an admin you simply add your username to the admin group.

have him log in, administrate your username. click on the drop downl box at the top right of that page.
choose groups
add you to the admin group

done.

robertr
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
civion

Post by civion »

Thank you very much for your help
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

If anyone has a founder account they would still be able to set permissions regardless of their admin status.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

It would be better if he posted here, so he can describe what he did.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

civion wrote:All I know is he said he was going to copy his permissions to my user id in the ACP and ended up getting them the wrong way round.

I looked on 'the team' and he has definitely demoted himself down to a normal user
As the others explained, there is no way to copy permissions from one user to another. Nor is there any "promote" or "demote". Usually permissions are not assigned directly to individual users. Permissions are assigned to groups, then users are added to the group so they inherit the permissions. The easiest way to assign the standard admin permissions to a user is to add that user to the Administrators group.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”