a horror classic: how to add a user (with acp 1.1.3/?)

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
fitnessbrain

a horror classic: how to add a user (with acp 1.1.3/?)

Post by fitnessbrain »

Hello Experts,

just a quick question. Installed over debian the phpBB Version: 3.0.10-4+deb7u3 and no matter why - there is no option to add a user. Why is there a board available, which isn't possible to add user - which is pretty essential to USE a board, isn't it? Kind a frustrated :evil: , reading and reading in 10 different boards and versions and yeah - its easy just put the acp_add_user-1.1.3.zip in /ext/ directory and go into the extension admin on the board and bla bla bla. Yes, super easy, but first find the /ext directory... suprise there is no one! :shock:

Appreciate if anyone can hook me up in this matter, I'm lost. :|

Any suggestions?
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Re: a horror classic: how to add a user (with acp 1.1.3/?)

Post by JimA »

Hi, welcome to phpBB.com! :)

That's because you're confusing versions. phpBB 3.0 doesn't have extension, it uses MODs, so in that case you need to use the ACP Add User MOD.

However, am I right in thinking that you have just installed phpBB and not done much customisation yet? In that case I would strongly recommend upgrading to/installing phpBB 3.1, our latest stable version, which does use extension and thus makes customisation way easier. Also, the support for 3.0 will be dropped completely at the end of this year.
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

The /ext folder is for extensions. That was added in 3.1.x

You're using 3.0.x which requires MODs but I'm not sure if the MODs from here work with the debian version as we don't make it.

EDIT: Jim beat me :)
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
fitnessbrain

Post by fitnessbrain »

oh *argh** - i already thought it was a failure to use apt-get install phpbb3 - it sounds so easy to get rid of all mods and extension. But finally - more work at least then just install "manually" ...

so you recommend installing on my VM just the 3.1.9 (last version) and problem fixed? Is there a user Add already integrated? Would make sense IMHO ...

:arrow: thanks for replying by the way! :P
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by JimA »

Yes, it's recommended to just do a fresh install of 3.1.9 manually with the software downloaded from this site.

Also, there is no ACP Add User integrated in 3.1.9 (although you can just use the registration form, of course) but you can use the extension you were talking about in your original post, indeed by putting the folders in the ext directory and installing it in your ACP. :)

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
fitnessbrain

Post by fitnessbrain »

Thanks Jim! ;)

There are two options now: the acp_add_user-1.1.3.zip or better using the phpbb-3.1-ext-adduser-master.zip?
And overall I guess, there is no sense making answer, why this Add user thing is not available from the beginning, right? :P

And did you found a way to change - _very easy_ the Header Background (using an Image instead of an color) and the Logo size? I mean that is - more is not needed to make this board nice and useful...
JimA
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader

Post by JimA »

For 3.1, use this one: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... dd_user_2/

With regards to it not being in by default, this is not something most admins need. Usually people register to the board themselves and if the admin needs another account, they can use the registration form. If you disagree though, you can create a RFC on our development board Area51. :)

fitnessbrain

Post by fitnessbrain »

ok, thats a great idea so far ... maybe if i'm through with this adventure I'll do that!

after unpacking the phpbb3 zip file - nothing happends? "cannot display" - anything. apache works fine with

It works!
This is the default web page for this server.
The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

but after /domain/phpBB3/

nothing happends... I'm freaking slowly ...

any idea?
fitnessbrain

Post by fitnessbrain »

Update: after deleting everything and making a new setup, restarting apache and and and .. it finally works.

Still, there are some questionsmark with:

- even though the most user get registered by their own, the admin should have a standard option to add user by hand

- first things the admin wants its changing the Logo in Size, as well as the colors. Adding User or not and thats it for the first setup. :idea: This should be also easy to fix in the ACP - within a couple of minutes and without searching, trial & errors for hours.

My last board I've setup 2013 and unfortunately nothing changed - its pretty said.

Maybe you guys have a better/quicker way for a RFC to make that "admin friendly" ;)

Have a great day!
david63

Post by david63 »

Both of those are available via the ACP with extensions
fitnessbrain wrote:he admin should have a standard option to add user by hand
As stated above https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... dd_user_2/ will allow an Admin to add a user

and https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/site_logo will allow manipulation of the Site Logo
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored
dowlass

Post by dowlass »

fitnessbrain wrote:- even though the most user get registered by their own, the admin should have a standard option to add user by hand
I wholeheartedly agree. It's gobsmacking that this option isn't available by default in the admin!

We want to run a fairly private, closed board - ideally removing the register link from the board menu. We already know who are members will be, we just want to add them in and send them their login credentials. Seemple! :)

Indeed, users are the heart of a forum....just as news is the heart of a news system. I can go in my news system and add news..... ;)
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

As mentioned though, that's an atypical setup so it's available as an extension.

You could of course just use the anti spam Q&A. Set a question saying 'enter the code you have been sent' and send the (random) code to the users you know and let them sign in themselves. Much less work for you. The code is unguessable so if you don't know it you can't join.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
dowlass

Post by dowlass »

Well maybe...

But I have to agree with fitnessbrain - it really should be a no-brainer for a permissioned admin to be able to add users. Users are central to the board - so should be central to the admin function, too. As it stands, the admin can only strike off unwanted registrants...which is more admin work.

I think you might find the 'closed' board setup less atypical than you think. Or probably would be used more if it was easier to set up!
canonknipser
Name: Frank Jakobs

Post by canonknipser »

fitnessbrain wrote:the admin should have a standard option to add user by hand
There is just a simple way: set registration to admin activation, log out with your regular account, register the new one via standard registration page, login using your admin account, activate the new user and send him his credentials.
Works on a vanilla phpBB-Board - not as comfortable as directly in the acp, but you can use this way.
Greetings, Frank
phpbb.de support team member
English is not my native language - no support via PM or mail
New arrival - Extensions and scripts for phpBB
dowlass

Post by dowlass »

It's a workaround, Frank, I'll give you that! But really this should be a straightforward option in the admin. Something for the developers to think about, perhaps.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”