Mass Mail failed - alternatives

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
GavinP

Mass Mail failed - alternatives

Post by GavinP »

I've just tried using mass mail to send an email to all users. I have c.1700 users on the forum so I expected it to take a while. As it happens it processed for about a minute, then I got a 500 Internal Server Error. I assume that this is something to do with my hosting environment config and something I don't really need to spend hours digging into, to send a single email.

I assume that my alternatives are to export the user_mail from the users table and import into a mail client. I only have webmail clients on my cpanel, horde, roundcube and squirrel to be precise and having exported the list I can only seem to import into horde and roundcube. Unfortunately the former fails to do anything, and the latter says that my file is not in the correct format. I exported CSV from MySQL but I'm guessing I may need other fields.

I realise this isn't a Phpbb issue per se, but there must have been others who have encountered this and might have an idea of what I'm doing wrong. I'd appreciate a steer.

david63
Name: David Wood

Re: Mass Mail failed - alternatives

Post by david63 »

It might give some clue as to why the mass email failed if you checked the server error log
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!
My CDB Contributions | How to install an extension
I will not be accepting translations for any of my extensions in Github - please post any translations in the appropriate topic.
No support requests via PM or email as they will be ignored

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and you can set it to only send so many emails per so much time to bypass your server restrictions.

I believe it is the "package" size setting that controls this.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Slackervaara

Post by Slackervaara »

It can be a timeout issue after 30 seconds or so. I remember I got timeout after about 800 newsletters.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”