user permission - manage groups and access

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
tamaraph

user permission - manage groups and access

Post by tamaraph » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:22 am

Hi,

i just stumbled upon phpBB while on a search to find a tool to manage our freelancers.

Would anyone be so kind and tell me if the following features are available, so that i can determine if phpBB is the solution for us?

1. can the forum be "hidden" so that only people which were granted access can enter?
2. can specific categories/topics be only visible to a specific group (e.g. category 1 only visible to members of group1)?
3. it is crucial for our work that the forum users cannot identify each other, can forum users see more than the username of the other users?
4. is it possible to disable the private messages between the "regular users" whilst allowing the users to send private messages to the moderators?
5. can the groups and members of the group be managed by the administrator (meaning that the administrator decides which user is in which group and what the user can and can't see/do)?

Sorry for the bombardment - I have high hopes that this will finally be the solution that i was looking for.

Thank you very very much

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: user permission - manage groups and access

Post by stevemaury » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:59 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. With a modification
5. Yes

Why are you considering 3.0.x when 3.1.x is the latest version and support for 3.0.x will end in a few months?
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:25 pm

stevemaury wrote:
4. With a modification
You can set "Can read PMs" permissions to No for Registered Users. Then regular users will not be able to receive PMs.

Edit: Wait.... That appears to prevent sending PMs too. I wonder why?

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:32 pm

You can set it so users can send to mods, but not receive from them, I think. Not too satisfactory. The way I would do it is to give Moderators a list of email addresses so they can send and receive from users via email outside the board.
For REALLY good and VERY inexpensive hosting CLICK HERE

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)

tamaraph

Post by tamaraph » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:48 pm

stevemaury wrote:1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. With a modification
5. Yes

Why are you considering 3.0.x when 3.1.x is the latest version and support for 3.0.x will end in a few months?
Thank you for your super fast and valuable reply. Didn't notice I was writing in 3.0x :oops:

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”